In the Market for a New (To Me!) Truck

The 3.5 eco is probably the best engine ford has put out in recent years. The 2.7 is a complete pile of trash. Trust me I know

I love my eco-boost! Bought a Ford Expedition new in 2018 it will get 21 all day long and 16 pulling the 20ft enclosed. All the power you could ask for at anytime throughout the rpm range. Wasn’t a believer at first either and now I cant say enough about how awesome this thing really is. They made a heck of a engine/transmission package with that eco deal!

+1 for EcoBoost. I know it was not an original option of yours but I would consider it. My 2011 3.5 (short box, crew cab) with just under 150K gets roughly 21 highway, 17-18 city, and 12-14 towing 7,000 lbs (3.55 rear gears). No weight distribution but I am going to start using a system just to remove a little bit of sag that exists from my tongue-heavy trailer. No major issues in the past two years that I've owned it and none of them actually mechanical.

These trucks all pull well with an enclosed trailer and everything but you also gotta think about stopping power if you ever get into a situation where you have a real stopping emergency. I work at a dealership and you wouldn't believe the vehicles that come in that have been in accidents with a trailer because they have more trailer than truck.

I myself personally am not a fan of the eco boost, my uncle (and stories of several other people) who had to replace the turbos at $2200+.... Before i bought my ram i looked at a 2013 f150 eco boost with 88,000 on it and from what i seen its common to replace turbos between 80k and 100k..... Might of considered it more if it had the triton in it. Now again this is just MY opinion, i know people are loyal and faithful to their fords. Me im not brand specific just as long as its a solid truck.

you know growing up my dad had a Silverado half ton 2wd, I think it was a 2000. It's what we pulled our first go kart with. bought it with 140k on the clock, was a 5.3, and we kept it until 200k. those older ones didn't have the active fuel system where it shuts off cylinders though... they newer ones, which I have a 2017 Silverado, and he's got a 2009 GMC, the 2007-2013 have an issue with the lobes of the cam wearing due to active fuel management ( it shuts down the same cylinders each time wearing only half the components).. the 2015's and up I think all have the dynamic setup, which changes which cylinders are running to keep wear even... I could be mistaken on the year..

easiest way to check for this being an issue is to take it for an overnighter to "show the wife" then pull the valve covers and check the lash on each of the rockers. if they're all close, cool beans, if you hear an audibly louder than normal tick from the lifters and you have a big variance in lash, bad news bears.

I'm only talking GM because i know them. someone else can talk about the other ones.

one nice selling point to the GM's, parts are everywhere and they're reasonably priced and if you're halfway mechanically inclined you can do everything from head gasket replacement to water pumps to spark plugs yourself... and most everything is easy to get to. I always take that into account. Right now 14-16 used Silverado's are going right in the range you want unless you need a high country or something glitzy like that. ;)

Good Luck!

I'm looking at a new 2019 Ram ( lower end , no chrome) for 29 k w/ a 5.7 and 8 speed,
I have a 14 lease I'm about to turn in , I pulled a 22' RV it didn't do bad with a load leveler and sway bar. I pull my 16' very arrow dynamic trailer with 2 karts and gear , it works great

What is the opinion of the Ford EcoBoost, ( older with some mileage on it ) . I've been around turbos before, great for a while

Ok the real question here is how far and how often .
If 2-3 times a year 50-60 miles any truck will get it done . more or more often you better be thinking about something a bit more substantial.

Last edited:
've got a 2007 Silverado with a 4,8 that tows my loaded 16 foot trailer just fine. Fellow I bought it from had put a shift kit in the tranny and it really helped a lot. Area around here is a bit hilly but it doesn't affect it that much. Will easily tow 80 mph on flat ground all day long.

if you have the funds and are going to do serious towing, I'd take a hard look at the new Nissan Titan with the Cummins. Might be the best of both worlds for reliability and muscle

Needing some help deciding which truck to get. My '03 Ram 2500 (5.7L HEMI) seems to have a new issue every other week, and it's time for something new(er). Wanting to spend around $20,000-$25,000 for a 2013-2016 RAM 1500 (5.7L), Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (5.3L), or Toyota Tundra (5.7L).

My question is: how do they perform when towing?

I'm sure they're all suitable for daily driving, but my biggest concern is how they'll do towing my 2004 20 ft Pace enclosed trailer. I do have the weight distribution hitch and bars to assist with towing.

Right now I'm leaning more towards another RAM (simply because of price & availability), but would like to hear some feedback from real owners.

Thank you!
James

PS - If you have a connection to someone in the used car industry, please let me know!
Whats the Outcome James ?
Get a different tow vehicle yet ?

Back