In the Market for a New (To Me!) Truck

James@PRC

Site Supporter
Needing some help deciding which truck to get. My '03 Ram 2500 (5.7L HEMI) seems to have a new issue every other week, and it's time for something new(er). Wanting to spend around $20,000-$25,000 for a 2013-2016 RAM 1500 (5.7L), Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (5.3L), or Toyota Tundra (5.7L).

My question is: how do they perform when towing?

I'm sure they're all suitable for daily driving, but my biggest concern is how they'll do towing my 2004 20 ft Pace enclosed trailer. I do have the weight distribution hitch and bars to assist with towing.

Right now I'm leaning more towards another RAM (simply because of price & availability), but would like to hear some feedback from real owners.

Thank you!
James

PS - If you have a connection to someone in the used car industry, please let me know!

Dont really like the ram trucks as they have coil spring rear suspension, not very good for towing in my opinion, the chevy would be nice, but I like the 2500 with the diesel for towing too.. Toyotas just rust away..frames...up here in NY anyway..good luck with your search

Dont really like the ram trucks as they have coil spring rear suspension, not very good for towing in my opinion, the chevy would be nice, but I like the 2500 with the diesel for towing too.. Toyotas just rust away..frames...up here in NY anyway..good luck with your search

Would love to have a Diesel, but they're a lot to maintain, plus the price of buying them is high too. Not worried about rust because it'll only be drove down in the lovely southeast! AKA not a whole lot of snow! :LOL:

if your using a 1500 , you should use the weight distributing hitch.
There is no comparison when towing with a diesel vs gas .
If your towing a lot its the only way to go . Maintenance is not that much extra .
Budget concerns considered a different truck every 3-5 years or one every 15-20 .

The Rams suspension I agree isn't the best but I don't think you should toss it to the side. If anything look and see if you can get their EcoDiesel. Great motor but can be difficult to find figuring everyone wants them.

better get another look at the new GM trucks, rusting in the wheel openings
Toyota no longer has a frame issue, that was on trucks from the mid 90's to early 2000's Dana is still building the chassis

If you going to get a Chevy stay away from the 5.3L, I'd look into the 6.0 or 6.2 depending on what year you looking at! And for maintenance on diesel isn't a whole lot more but it would stink to get stuck with a dirty max and a bill to replace there jacked up injectors they have. JMTC

I have a 2007 Tundra Crewmax 5.7L & i'll never buy anything else ever again !!!! When it's time for a new one, I'll buy another. Kids are grown so the next one won't be a Crewmax.

Anyone pull with an EcoDiesel Ram 1500? I noticed their torque rating was very similar to the HEMI, but they get almost 10 mpg better, and I'm sure it'll last twice as long.

My 2019 f150 5 liter ac on towing as fast as you want 17 miles to the gallon. My old 5.4 got 9 and you had to be on the mat. I’m not a dodge fan nor a foreign truck guy I’d go with the Chevy. There’s nothing wrong with a 5.3 everything has some kind of issue get what you want not what someone else wants you to get.

I tow with a 2000 ram 1500 big horn with the 3.6L v6 matched with 3.55 gears (rated at 7350lbs) and love it! Great gas mileage (average 27mpg to and from work)

If you going to get a Chevy stay away from the 5.3L, I'd look into the 6.0 or 6.2 depending on what year you looking at! And for maintenance on diesel isn't a whole lot more but it would stink to get stuck with a dirty max and a bill to replace there jacked up injectors they have. JMTC

Do NOT get a 6.0 GM gasser. Sold company, got rid of all my diesels, bought new 17’ GMC 2500HD 4x4 6.0, only use it for towing and a couple trips here and there. 13.5 mpg highway unloaded, 6-7 mpg with 16’ enclosed trailer. This thing sucks literally.....

Do NOT get a 6.0 GM gasser. Sold company, got rid of all my diesels, bought new 17’ GMC 2500HD 4x4 6.0, only use it for towing and a couple trips here and there. 13.5 mpg highway unloaded, 6-7 mpg with 16’ enclosed trailer. This thing sucks literally.....

I'm on board with this actually. When the brother and I used to run derby cars we'd pull them with an '07 2500HD 6.0L....we averaged 4-6mpg on it. (Probably was less but the gauge wouldn't read that low lol) We absolutely hated that thing.

F150 w/the Ecoboost...... My son has a 2013 with 210000 miles on it and it pulls exceptional. 26 ft enclosed with a modified (about 8k). gets about 12mpg towing. The torque is unbelievable at low rpms.

Back