Inferno flame

7mashburn

I’m sure this is a repeat question. We are running a clone race engine with Hilliard flame clutch. 2 black springs and 2 white springs no weights. What I noticed is on restarts karts jump like they are in 1st gear (per say) our kart looks like it’s in 3rd gear (per say) we are as fast but can’t get the launch. We are running around 6800 rpm not sure by looking at chart how to get the hard launch adjustment

I’m sure this is a repeat question. We are running a clone race engine with Hilliard flame clutch. 2 black springs and 2 white springs no weights. What I noticed is on restarts karts jump like they are in 1st gear (per say) our kart looks like it’s in 3rd gear (per say) we are as fast but can’t get the launch. We are running around 6800 rpm not sure by looking at chart how to get the hard launch adjustment
While you're in the pits, on the stand, start the engine, hold the brake, floor it. What does the tachometer read?

If it's not reading the RPM where the engine reaches peak torque (somewhere around 3300 to 3600), that's your problem. I don't know where your engine reaches peak torque, but those numbers have to be reasonably close.

Check what I recommended first. If that's not your problem, get a SMC Rocket Rim clutch. Best drum clutch out there in my opinion. Briggs changed their rules this year making them illegal for Briggs 206 racing so we went to the Hilliard Flame as our next option.

01ron has you on track. The only thing i could add is add as much weight as possible to the shoes , then increase your spring pressue that might help.

With all black spring don’t think that clutch will go to 3000 rpm. Are the other karts running the same clutch? The stinger clutch is advertised to be able to set 3900.

What engine are you running? (Maybe I missed that.)
Where your engine makes peak torque makes a huge difference in how you set up your clutch.
Also, how have you been maintaining your clutch?
Could it have any oil/grease in the drum that has contaminated the shoes?
Have you taken it apart, cleaned and sanded everything well?
Did it react the same when you re-assembled it?
Definitely have the shoes leading with this clutch if you want a hard launch.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back