inferno fury locking up

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
good drum bully capable., new 11 tooth driver new, bearing race (no bearing) is new. new, 4 black spring with 2 oranges over on opposite sides. cleaned with brake clean, then a super thin coat of wd40 on the drum and weights. (mating surface) scuffed the drum mating surface with scotch bright or 500gt paper depending on what i have available .. assembled the same way every time. each of the weights is marked with the hub. once i get 15 or so laps on it, it doesn't want to disengage. sometimes i go to start it and the clutch engages. what am i doing wrong.

The bushing is most likely seizing . Or the adapter is tight .
Or maybe wobbling enough to catch .
Common with 11 tooth and bushing .

Last edited:
The bushing is most likely seizing . Or the adapter is tight .
Or maybe wobbling enough to catch .
Common with 11 tooth and bushing .
I am seeing wobbling. maybe i can get someone to brass the inside of the 11 tooth and eliminate the bushing. happy that I'm not seeing heat indicators on the output shaft or the clutch. I'll try some better grease instead of the wd40 to see if i get better results.

"Locking up"? I assume that you guys that do this all the time know what that means, I'm a little sketchy. Could you describe what the clutch is doing?

What gear set are you running? Is a new clutch drum out of the question? If you press a new bushing into the drum that you have, it most likely will need to be reamed to fit. Can you do that? What about that 12 tooth driver, is it possible? One tooth on the driver is worth 4 teeth on the axle, maybe more, it depends on the ratio.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need a film of grease, Vaseline, something inside the driver bushing so it doesnt try to weld itself to the crank. Ive seen them have to be removed by force because of lack of lubrication.

Use a hit-temp grease - thin coat, and re-grease it as often as you can.
A little extra endplay will help also.
11T bushing clutches are notorious for sticking like this - even with frequent lubrication and excess endplay.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

LUCAS Red and Tacky. is my new friend. under $8. should last forever. seems to be working better. Yes, thin "coat" on all contact surfaces.. 80+ laps on 350 foot paper clip, paved track yesterday. 3 sessions 25 plus laps each no issues,, still could feel it on the steel after all the combine laps. no issues

Back