Inherent Push!

I know that is what has puzzled me! The exact push was there BEFORE these new tires by the way... lol so it wasn't a tires issue. RR is currently 1/4" off the frame and LR is 1.5" out.

JR suggested laying his seat back some, I have it way up due to his short height, he believes its related to the VCG being too high. I'm going to try laying it back about 2" and see if that loosens it up, then I'll start adding some cross back in.
I just came on with the Intent of asking how high the seat was, YES I agree with J.R especially with left that low, I took it like you said the push was there before BUT not near as bad.

Last edited:
Looking at the track entry to ONE is completely different then entry to turn THREE.

Is the push your asking about hurting you in ONE or THREE.

The two entry part of the turns are so different I don't expect you to have the same exact problem in both.

Looking at the track entry to ONE is completely different then entry to turn THREE.

The two entry part of the turns are so different I don't expect you to have the same exact problem in both.
Paul it mostly pushes into 1 and the. Pushes center off of 4.

I’m saying not enough grip in the new tires, we’re they rolled internally for the track conditions you were stating ? What were they punching on the duro ? New barcodes can be moody......like my wife ?

I’m saying not enough grip in the new tires, we’re they rolled internally for the track conditions you were stating ? What were they punching on the duro ? New barcodes can be moody......like my wife ?
I'd have to rule that out, the new tires were done by a local tire guy who absolutely knows what he is doing with MANY wins at this track, AND the same pushing issue was there with our previous set of tires which were even softer.

If the below works:

Here's turn 3 and 4: https://www.google.com/maps/place/7...680eaa5bf3e02afa!8m2!3d29.262299!4d-82.176109

Here's turn 1 and 2: https://www.google.com/maps/place/7...680eaa5bf3e02afa!8m2!3d29.262299!4d-82.176109

"mostly pushes into 1 and the. Pushes center off of 4."

If I have the right track in google earth the racing line doesn't clearly show on the pictures.

If I just think about push meaning I want the thing to turn and it doesn't. Looking at the pictures I don't see the place at either end of the track which relates to "mostly pushes into 1 and the. Pushes center off of 4.".

Per my looking at the pictures half way around 1 and 2 the turning at that end of the track tightens.
And also just per looking at the picture I can see at the other end of the track where it tightens right after getting deep into turn 3.

Might both places where i'm thinking the amount of turning needed to get around each end of the track tightens is where your push occurs?

Quickly reading/scanning through what others have offered to help after seeing the picture of the kart and throwing my general theory/bs at it i'll offer what follows just as a general something to think about. If i'm out in left field on it I hope others will say so because I don't want to mess you up on it. ... just my bs which follows which ain't necessarily right anyway. ... :)

There's only two things which are going to turn you out on the track. The first are the front tires and the second is your solid axle with staggered tires in the back. Those two and those two things only will turn you. period. Those two along with fine "tuning in" any needed unloading or reducing the use of the LR tire, to let you turn by freeing up the back end as needed, if needed.

It boils down to your LR tire in the turn is an 'anchor' or 'rudder' used to let your RR tire roll around it weather your slowing down, just rolling the corner at a constant speed or accelerating in the turn. You need just enough 'anchor' or 'rudder' from your LR tire.

After that probably wrong bs and original theory from me I think what others are offering are ways for you to get more "anchor" or "rudder" use out of your LR tire. If I'm seeing the points at each end of the track where the turn tightens correctly it will help you because it will allow you kart to 'sit down' better on the LR tire there increasing it's potential use as an 'anchor' or 'rudder'.

I sure hope I didn't just throw in a bunch of confusion and if I did I'm sorry butt this all is just IMHO and ain't necessarily right anyway. ... :)

By the way I use to always only refer to the use of the LR in the turn as an "anchor". For those of you in the mid west I don't know the name of the older gentleman I talked to about it one day at a track maybe Eldora about my general how stagger works theory, but he added to my bs the thought of the LR being a "rudder". After kindly and I think reluctantly listening to me he said to me he thinks of the LR as his "rudder".

Last edited:
So I went home and measured his seat last night in relationship to the axle, it certainly is up there! But we did this on purpose in setting the kart up initially because he is of such small stature, I thought I needed it for weight transfer. I was always told with smaller drivers you needed the high VCG to get the kart to work correctly and to have some weight transfer. I'm going to drop the seat to about 12" off the axle and go re-scale the kart before our next race. Unfortunately we won't make it to the track again until 9/6 before I'll have some results. Thanks to you all!

Attachments

• Seat 1.jpg
    Seat 1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 48
  • seat 3.jpg
    seat 3.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 48
So I went home and measured his seat last night in relationship to the axle, it certainly is up there! But we did this on purpose in setting the kart up initially because he is of such small stature, I thought I needed it for weight transfer. I was always told with smaller drivers you needed the high VCG to get the kart to work correctly and to have some weight transfer. I'm going to drop the seat to about 12" off the axle and go re-scale the kart before our next race. Unfortunately we won't make it to the track again until 9/6 before I'll have some results. Thanks to you all!
Re-set the rear wheel spacing before you re-scale also as 1.5" out on the LR is way to far.

I'd have to rule that out, the new tires were done by a local tire guy who absolutely knows what he is doing with MANY wins at this track, AND the same pushing issue was there with our previous set of tires which were even softer.
Gotcha I missed the part where it was pushing with the other set of tires also.
First race of this season we were really bad pushing with the new Pursuit, I knew the tires were good as I used the same ones on the Triton for the heats and that was fast. I ended up dropping the RF camber from -3 to -2.25 and we went from 13th up to 3rd in a hurry, think she coulda won it but with no yellows we ran outta time. Anyway I tune with camber more than anything else at the track.

Gotcha I missed the part where it was pushing with the other set of tires also.
First race of this season we were really bad pushing with the new Pursuit, I knew the tires were good as I used the same ones on the Triton for the heats and that was fast. I ended up dropping the RF camber from -3 to -2.25 and we went from 13th up to 3rd in a hurry, think she coulda won it but with no yellows we ran outta time. Anyway I tune with camber more than anything else at the track.
Good info, thank you! So am I correct in that taking neg camber out of the RF will help with a push and give the kart more "bite" in the RF?
EX; we're at -2.75 now so If I go down to -2.25 it should help a push going IN to the corner, correct?

It should help as long as the tires are correct. We have one track here that I run -1.50 RF 0 LF camber at, been told I was crazy..... won 6 outta 9 races lol

While I understand the theory of -3 to -3.5 RF camber unloading the LR, it has never worked for us with either chassis on dirt. Works great on our asphalt Phenoms though.

In my experience (50 years in and around karting) there are 2 fundamental rules; "Push" means one of 2 things, too much rear bite or not enough front bite. "Lose" means one of 2 things, too much front bite or not enough rear bite. If you're thinking "that's too simple", I can understand your thinking, but it's true nonetheless! Curing the problem is just as simple. The most difficult would be moving your seat. Forward/backward for push/loose. In that order. 2nd, for push, narrower front/wider rear, for loose, narrower rear/wider front.
There's always the possibility, and I wouldn't ignore it, that something is broken on your kart. I say that because you said this handling problem was a recent phenomena. How often do you scale the kart, do you have pre-problem/post problem scale readings? Just some ideas that popped into my head. Good luck on solving the problem.

Al- We scale the kart on average monthly. I don't own scales so we take it to a close friend. The numbers are usually spot on for this chassis and shows no signs of being bent or other problem. I really think all along it has been a seat position issue as I originally set it up for my really small son thinking I needed him as high up as I could get him to gain weight transfer. The seat height was at 16" off the axle and I just moved it down to 12" so that should have significant impact on the VCG. Sadly with this ridiculous Florida weather, we haven't been able to race due to all the rain. Hoping to get him back on the track this weekend or next.

Hi all! Just wanted to come back with a small update and to say thanks to you all especially JR Curtis who told me the seat height was the issue all along! We ran a small, local track Friday night with the new set up and for the first time ever the kart was LOOSE!! lol I had to bring the LR back in and play with air pressure but we got it to stick by feature time and it was wicked fast! This particular track is a very small one, 1/12 mile and we use a 12/65 gear. It really made it fun for him to drive, slightly loose and he loved it! Now on to our main track this Friday for our points racing, where he is still on top by 30 points.... crossing my fingers the setup works as well there!

Now can someone please explain to me how laying his seat back from 15" off the axle to 12" completely eliminated a push??? I realize it was a factor of VCG and weight transfer but I just can't make it work in my head!

He's laying back much more now, so naturally he is transferring less weight on corner entry, I assume before, he was setting up so much that he was transferring a bunch of weight over to the RR and that was causing the push?

Back