Inside prep

People roll their tires with different amounts of prep. What's the rhyme and reason for the amounts?

Also I hear conflicting information about inside prep in Cobra tires. What's seems to be the verdict with them? Are you rolling the inside or not?

Here is a rough guide . 100/200 prep i dont thik is avalibe now .
Substitute your choice
15899185775233111946666729128769.jpg

Simple way to look at it. A dirt track is ever changing from the time the gates open. Reading the track and knowing what set to bolt on is very important. Then having the right set worked properly for the given track condition is why most have multiple sets worked differently.

My best suggestion is to pick a prep line and stick with it. Don't jump around or mix them.

I won't go to the track without 4 sets of tires ready. Between the 4 I will have what I need or get to working them externally to where I need them.

People roll their tires with different amounts of prep. What's the rhyme and reason for the amounts?

Also I hear conflicting information about inside prep in Cobra tires. What's seems to be the verdict with them? Are you rolling the inside or not?
The inside prep manipulates the sidewall of the tire, or spring rate of the tire, helping with side bite. Therefore different amounts for different classes, weights, and how much bite is in the track will determine the amount of inside.
The Cobra is still a "fairly" new tire even though its been around for yrs., so info is still coming in, however the tire isnt very popular so the info is limited and at the tracks ive been at where you can run them or Maxxis, the Maxxis are quicker so theres even less info to be gained.
Theyre a bit softer than the Maxxis, so the inside amount would have to be less than what you would do with Maxxis, maybe more as in a fresh Vega amount.

#1 Dont inside cobra direct from cobra
#2 scuff outside wipe n go not designed for heavy prep
#3 I hate a maxxis everyone on here knows that.
#4 different amounts , season, heavy ,or hard fast will determine the amount of prep and when raced on by the date rolled.

Best of luck

As thin as they are I’d be hesitant to roll them, especially on the tracks I race on. I crosshatch scuffed mine with a 220 finish and just wiped some light quick dry PRW on mine. We race Sunday so I’ll see how they react. Im using mine on my predator heavy kart so no big power so I’m trying not to soften them to the extent that I lock it down. So far though I love the feel I think they will do the job.

As thin as they are I’d be hesitant to roll them, especially on the tracks I race on. I crosshatch scuffed mine with a 220 finish and just wiped some light quick dry PRW on mine. We race Sunday so I’ll see how they react. Im using mine on my predator heavy kart so no big power so I’m trying not to soften them to the extent that I lock it down. So far though I love the feel I think they will do the job.

Sunday I raced a buddy had maxxis and I was on 4 cobra no inside , a scuff 240 4 wipes medium bite, and 2 wipes heavy bite. Went out and throttle hung only made 3 laps.
Came in no wash dry or prep just psi went out. I kept up with his maxxis no problem.

I feel if people give it a chance they will find they outperform maxxis if nothing else cost effective and feels like a real tire.

Track was beginning to take on some black in the corners

I run mine Sunday. Track was a dusty rocky mess. I did no internal just a 220 cross hatch and 2 wipes of rough cut diamond. Right sides 9 psi and lefts at 8. They felt good they stuck nice to what was there to get ahold of. They kinda roll over and set like a thick soft Vega. All in all I’ll keep using them and keep playing with them.

Back