Inside preping

drttrck17

I'm new to this tire prepping.
The inside prepping has me puzzled more than anything. I run maxxis pink and blues around ga and east al. I know from a little experience I have that the more inside you use the more bite your tire will have, but how do you know how long before a race that you need to roll. Like 3 week old 2week old or roll the week of the race. I hear some people will roll their tires 3 to 4 weeks ahead and reroll them the week of, what benefits would that have if any.. im just trying to figure some of this out.. thanks in advance.

You have to roll your tires in a rotation. I roll my internal amount, record the date. Then I use them according to what the track calls for. Just know that the second time you roll a tire it will never be as fast as the first. JMO.

You have to roll your tires in a rotation. I roll my internal amount, record the date. Then I use them according to what the track calls for. Just know that the second time you roll a tire it will never be as fast as the first. JMO.

May I ask why there not as fast the second time?
Are they not as fast for all track conditions?
Might it be after the second time you might need to look again at what track conditions to use them for?

don't know just questions which came to mind, sorry

I'm new to this tire prepping.
The inside prepping has me puzzled more than anything. I run maxxis pink and blues around ga and east al. I know from a little experience I have that the more inside you use the more bite your tire will have, but how do you know how long before a race that you need to roll. Like 3 week old 2week old or roll the week of the race. I hear some people will roll their tires 3 to 4 weeks ahead and reroll them the week of, what benefits would that have if any.. im just trying to figure some of this out.. thanks in advance.
That's all experience and just matching what the track likes at the time, Spring, summer, fall, will all vary a little.

Whatever prep you are using. Call that individual and ask them questions. That'll give you your best info on how to use it. Now Bob's has great knowledge people here that can help. But I would start with who makes it. Or the local dealer you're getting the prep from.
EXCELLENT advice right there.
Not all internal is used in the same way.
We have two different internals that we use, and they are very different in application.
If it's our prep line that someone is asking about, I prefer them to ask us about it first. Then it can be of some value to ask other racers, especially those who are using the same product or race at the same track.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

EXCELLENT advice right there.
Not all internal is used in the same way.
We have two different internals that we use, and they are very different in application.
If it's our prep line that someone is asking about, I prefer them to ask us about it first. Then it can be of some value to ask other racers, especially those who are using the same product or race at the same track.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
I agree with this and the post above, however just pointing out IF the supplier does not know the track he cannot answer the OP question 100 %.

May I ask why there not as fast the second time?
Are they not as fast for all track conditions?
Might it be after the second time you might need to look again at what track conditions to use them for?

don't know just questions which came to mind, sorry
Correct. There are times where the track calls for rerolls. This time of year especially.

Talk all you want about prepping/rolling, there is no better way to get knowledge other than track time and making notes on what prep was used, amount, rolled/not rolled, scuffed/grinded/sanded, what at-track was wiped on, track surface condition....in other words as they say down south .."SPERNCE"....😉

Talk all you want about prepping/rolling, there is no better way to get knowledge other than track time and making notes on what prep was used, amount, rolled/not rolled, scuffed/grinded/sanded, what at-track was wiped on, track surface condition....in other words as they say down south .."SPERNCE"....😉
Is there a big difference in sanding a new tire before prepping and scuffing a new tire on the track before prepping?
I know some racers say they only scuff theirs and some will sand them.
I have always sanded mine, but I'm just wondering if scuffing them would be any difference.

Is there a big difference in sanding a new tire before prepping and scuffing a new tire on the track before prepping?
I have always sanded mine, but I'm just wondering if scuffing them would be any difference.
2 different process sand ( resurface ) is more about keeping surface fresh and taking prep, Scuff on track is done just to heat cycle a fresh tire so it holds up better ( don't give up ) the entire run of the first race.

If there were truly ironclad answers to questions like these, you most likely wouldn't see karters with several tire racks full of all kinds of different tires that have been all prepared somewhat different...😒. With that being said, imo I use sanding a new tire to help open the pores of the rubber for the initial coats of external prep to get into the tire better, as already mentioned, scuffing is done to put new tires through their initial heat cycles to help stabilize the tire so they don't change size and/or characteristics during their first actual race on the track...

Scuffing helps toughen them up a little so you don't burn /blister all the good off right away .
I think we need to break the question down some .
When would a reroll be better then a fresh roll tire ?
A hard slick track or a soft abrasive track ?

Scuffing helps toughen them up a little so you don't burn /blister all the good off right away .
I think we need to break the question down some .
When would a reroll be better then a fresh roll tire ?
A hard slick track or a soft abrasive track ?
Slow/slick = reroll. Harder/good bite = fresher single roll

Back