Insuring your trailer

WFOorBUST

Does anyone here have experience with insurance on your race trailer? Can you insure so all contents are covered as well as if the trailer is not hooked to your truck I/e dropping it at the track and going home or to a hotel for the night. I have no knowledge of this we all know how much we can have in contests of some of these race trailer.

Yes I have full coverage on all my trailers, plus included contents. Anything that has a serial number and is over $1000 usually gets listed on policy, then I have $5000 in misc. coverage for everything else.

Zinc Insurance
3505 E Royalton Rd Ste 110
Broadview Hts, OH 44147

It's basically an off track and storage policy, which means it covers all your stuff except the karts when they're on the track (obviously!!!)
The one we have is written through Travelers and covers a 20 ft enclosed trailer, 2 Margay Ignites, 1 DR kart with an X30 Tag, and almost $7000 worth of misc stuff. Starters, electric kart lifts, spare tires, tools, nitrogen tank, misc spares, etc, etc.
The total we're insured for is also $30K. Seems like a lot, but just sit down in your trailer someday with a calculator and start adding!!! You will be shocked at how much you have invested in your racing operation, even if you race on a budget. Like me, if something were to happen to all our racing equipment like thief, fire, major accident, etc, how long would it take to recover from that and buy everything over again. Likely years, or maybe never. When I thought about it years ago it really spooked me, so we got our stuff insured.
It costs us just under $600 a year. You get a discount for being a WKA member.
That might seem high, but it does give me peace of mind.
Clark Gaynor Sr.

Yes that’s exactly my concern, believe me I know how much I have invested and it’s a lot for a small hobby. My insurance policy covers my trailer if it’s hooked to my truck but im sol on the contents of something were to happen.

I have tons also, but I only take so much stuff with me so I couldn’t see going crazy with extra coverage.
Now with my snowmobile trailer that doesn’t include any misc because the sleds are insured separately with accessories.
The trailers are through my auto policy

Mine also sits on the side of my shop when I’m not using it and it generally still has a lot of tools and extra parts in it.

My experience with trailer insurance ; trailer itself covered under auto policy when attached to vehicle [ if it disconnects while traveling or the combined vehicle-trailer causes damage (to person/s or property) , contents on / in trailer not covered ], had to purchase a separate policy for tools / equipment / cargo they called it an " Inland Marine" rider policy . Best thing is to contact your insurance agent and ask . Also call other insurance companies ask them and get quotes of costs , you may just save your self some $$$

Back