Internal Prep

Beemer

My son is a Jr 1 racer and we are trying to learn the tire game.

We have a decent tire program but just not as consistent from track to track as we would like to be.

One item we tend to struggle with is the amount of internal prep for a given track.

What characteristics in handling would a kart have if we are on too much internal and what characteristics would it have if we are not on enough internal.

Feedback from my driver is not what i would get from an adult so trying to get a better feel for what effect too much or too little internal would have.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can lend.

We have the same problem with junior driver. If the kart will stay on the track they tell you everything feels good. Makes it hard to find the right tire when feedback is limited.

I have no experience with Jr drivers or Jr setups so I'm not too sure what amounts that Jr drivers need for internal prep. A general rule of thumb for internal though is that the more bite the track has, the less internal is needed, and visa versa.

Usually the colder temps will require more internal also compared to the summer months. I have never ran no internal in a tire though. I belive that you are leaving speed out there without internal. I have only ran Maxxis or vegas though.

I would say at least 2 oz internal in right side, all the way up to 5 oz internal in rights if it is cold and low bite

Jr drivers are a bit different. Experience and info goes a long ways.
What track, or tracks, do you plan on racing at and we may be able to give you a starting point.

very interested in this info as well as my son will be driving for his first season in jr 1 this year at Woodleaf (Blues and Pinks), and Cashmere Speedway (Burris Track)

SoCo Tire Treatments, We are from Central FL and run Dirt Devils, Speedway park and Crossroads Motorplex.

how many race nights would you suggest between rolls?

Goes more in the way of time than race nights, and track conditions.
On a hard fast track, you may only roll 1 time, before you wear out the tires. On a low bite track where you race a set for most of the year, you may re roll an ounce every month.
At times you will roll a set, and then the week of the race or the morning of the race you may re roll again.

My son is a Jr 1 racer and we are trying to learn the tire game.

We have a decent tire program but just not as consistent from track to track as we would like to be.

One item we tend to struggle with is the amount of internal prep for a given track.

What characteristics in handling would a kart have if we are on too much internal and what characteristics would it have if we are not on enough internal.

Feedback from my driver is not what i would get from an adult so trying to get a better feel for what effect too much or too little internal would have.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can lend.

Id like to add, that if you have too much internal in a tire, it may make the kart feel tight, bound up, or just not making any speed, like if you have a heavily rolled tire on a high bite track where a tire rolled with less would have been better. If you dont have enough internal in the tire, or even the wrong prep internally, it can show up as the tires going away in the race, usually toward the end of the race. SoCo has given alot of good info on this subject already

Back