Introduction and Dedication

Bob Evans

Administrator
A big thanks to Jimmy Glenn for making this publicly available
Bob Evans

Introduction:
In this book we will go through the basic preparation of a 5HP Briggs motor for WKA stock classes. We will go through each portion part by part with the emphasis on the do-it-yourself motor builder. Some portions will be very basic, while others will lead into some of the performance secrets of the Briggs motors. Is there black magic involved....no, just sound preparation and attention to detail.

This book will be governed by the World Karting Association's 2012 tech rules. Be sure and familiarize yourself with your organization's latest rules for any variances.

Chapter 1. Basic Tools

Chapter 2. Engine Disassembly

Chapter 3. Parts Inspection. Separating the Good from Bad

Chapter 4. Carburetor Preparation

Chapter 5. Block Preparation

Chapter 6. Piston, Rings, Rod and Crank Preparation

Chapter 7. Camshafts, Theory

Chapter 8 Camshafts, Selection

Chapter 9. Head Preparation

Chapter 10. Short Block Assembly

Chapter 11. Timing and Degreeing the Camshaft

Chapter 12. Final Assembly(Valves)

Chapter 13. Headers and Spark plugs

Chapter 14. Break-in

Chapter 15. Maintenance

Chapter 16. Valve Spring Pressure Tool

Chapter 17 Flow Bench

Chapter 18 Common Problems and Resolutions

Appendix A. Suppliers.

Dedication:

I like to dedicate this book to the many friends and motor builders I've known over the years. Without their expertise and time this book would not have been possible. Bob Evans for the many hours we have spent in each other's shop or on the phone, discussing new ideas or theories. Jason Crossley(RD Racing) for his tireless input on the latest trick part or procedure. Jim Stone (Stone Racing Engines)for his clear insight to the basic principles of the four cycle motor, Craig Stevens(CRAMAC Racing oil) for sharing his many years experience and Jack Prillaman(Riverside Kart Shop) who has forgotten more about building motors than most will ever learn.

A special thanks to my wife of 45 years, Karen, for her understanding of the many long hours I've spent in the shop or at the tracks. Never a cross word or comment. Then again, I never do show her the receipts or maybe she just likes me out from under foot.

Jimmy

P.S. Be Careful. Racing is dangerous as is working with machinery. I've got the scars to prove it! Anytime you work with electrical, air, or hand tools extreme care should be given to the task at hand. Use common sense and go slow. Use eye protection!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back