Is it Bent or something else

NAracing

Hello
We are hoping some of you can provide some insight. We have a 2015 Charger dynasty chassis that may be bent or not, if not perhaps we have other issues. With the chassis on a flat level table the frame rails lay perfect. The chassis doesn’t rock or move there is no kinks/ crease or bends that we can find. The area of concern is the front caster mounting plates. The mounts take the caster blocks nicely with no gaps but the RF and LF plates are not at the same height. The LF is higher, the angles are within 1.5 degrees. The distance from spindle to axle is equal RF and LF. The problem lies with the RF not been able to produce enough caster, with the hyme joint pulled in we are around negative 2. See photos of our measurements. Yes the frame has been hit at some point, right rear nerf bar mount has been rewelded

secondary is we can’t achieve the correct amount of cross. I will get scale numbers tomorrow and post them

Attachments

• CF21A3FD-5D26-4FF8-8FAE-10635FBD4E95.jpeg
    CF21A3FD-5D26-4FF8-8FAE-10635FBD4E95.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 81
  • 4E69A85C-2602-4B0D-BD1F-16AACB4C1F2E.jpeg
    4E69A85C-2602-4B0D-BD1F-16AACB4C1F2E.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 3AB77D29-E1A7-4740-AE06-AD465AA3E49C.jpeg
    3AB77D29-E1A7-4740-AE06-AD465AA3E49C.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Here are a few more photos

Attachments

• 291CE417-E7A9-4CEC-BE8D-EFE2A5884EEB.jpeg
    291CE417-E7A9-4CEC-BE8D-EFE2A5884EEB.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 50
  • A0BEC03D-DBBB-4542-B54B-75733889B071.jpeg
    A0BEC03D-DBBB-4542-B54B-75733889B071.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 23237014-C048-4B5D-8A1D-011865386F84.jpeg
    23237014-C048-4B5D-8A1D-011865386F84.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 50
If it rescales easily only needing minor tweak to keep numbers it's not an issue.
We can’t get the correct amount of cross. I don’t have my scale numbers with me but I will post them tomorrow.
we normally are around 61% when Charger wants 66% +
We are having an issue with entry pushing

If your budget can swing it, order up some new front end components (they do wear out over time.) There's a reason that top teams replace these parts often.
New L blocks, heims, and spindles can really wake a kart up.
Ordering direct or from a good dealer will get you genuine parts for your kart that you know are correct.
Then check things over well. If you can have the chassis on the manufacturer's jig table in the fall or early winter months would be advisable as well.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

If your budget can swing it, order up some new front end components (they do wear out over time.) There's a reason that top teams replace these parts often.
New L blocks, heims, and spindles can really wake a kart up.
Ordering direct or from a good dealer will get you genuine parts for your kart that you know are correct.
Then check things over well. If you can have the chassis on the manufacturer's jig table in the fall or early winter months would be advisable as well.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Brian
That is what we agreed upon after speaking with Charger. All new spindles/ kingpins/ L blocks and joints. If that doesn’t correct it tires and overall setup is next

Karts wont lay flat on concrete because of uneven welds and belly pan tabs so unless you have a surface plate with a jig, its pointless. You can take a 2-3ft straight edge under the rear tubes to see if one is bent up or down on the stand. Its uncommon for the front tubes to twist without a major crash.

A few degrees of cross could be a multitude of things: Front and rear stagger, worn front heims, spindles, rear cassette settings, etc...

Re-looking at your pictures and unless my eyes are deceiving me, you shouldn't be able to see daylight between the L block and caster plate. Take the L block off and take a straight edge to the caster plate - top to bottom. If its banana shaped, there is your issue. Is not the sole reason, but the reason its bent would be your issue (accident). Aluminum L blocks are pliable and need to sit flat on the caster plate to be rigid. You would need to straighten it and rebuild the front with all new parts.

1631559682028.png

Last edited:
Good catch though .
If a feeler gauge fits in there . Then it needs addressed .
I noticed some of your checks , are on the stand , that will give erroneous results as well .

Re-looking at your pictures and unless my eyes are deceiving me, you shouldn't be able to see daylight between the L block and caster plate. Take the L block off and take a straight edge to the caster plate - top to bottom. If its banana shaped, there is your issue. Is not the sole reason, but the reason its bent would be your issue (accident). Aluminum L blocks are pliable and need to sit flat on the caster plate to be rigid. You would need to straighten it and rebuild the front with all new parts.

View attachment 17551
It’s a reflection
There is no gap the L blocks are true to the plate

Back