Is it normal for Lo206 to accumulate grease/grit?

LukasEyth

My LO206 engine has been accumulating this black grease or grit on the front of the engine down by the chassis. It is also around the carburetor and I don't know if my engine is leaking oil or if this is normal. When I run my engine it runs and sounds fine and I don't notice any loss in power but I don't know what this stuff is on the engine and how it is getting there. Does anyone know the answer to this?

Make sure the yellow oil fill plugs and the oil drain plugs are tight. Then make sure the little round brass colored vent on top of the fuel pump isn't leaking oil.
The next thing to check is if the torque of the side cover bolts is correct. Use a GOOD inch pound torque wrench set to 170 inch pounds and be sure to check all 6 of them. You may have to remove the chain guard to gain access to all of them.
You could also check for an oil leak by parking the kart on a clean floor or over some clean white paper to see if drops accumulate.

Its coming off the race track. The more rubber and prep on the track the dirtier the engine will be.

Make sure the yellow oil fill plugs and the oil drain plugs are tight. Then make sure the little round brass colored vent on top of the fuel pump isn't leaking oil.
The next thing to check is if the torque of the side cover bolts is correct. Use a GOOD inch pound torque wrench set to 170 inch pounds and be sure to check all 6 of them. You may have to remove the chain guard to gain access to all of them.
You could also check for an oil leak by parking the kart on a clean floor or over some clean white paper to see if drops accumulate.

^ This right here.
Should = problem solved.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I once had a yellow fill plug that had been overtightened. It cracked above the threads but underneath the top with the two small posts. It leaked very slightly (ended up like a mist on the engine) and the crack could only be seen by removing the plug. Just something also I would check!

Good point Ron.
I recently had one that I initially thought had a leaking side cover gasket.
What i found is that it had a small stone under the front oil fill cap. It was tight but didn't seal and leaked like crazy.
A new yellow plastic cap and all was good again.

^ Yep, overtightening them can cause them to leak as well. I have one here in the shop currently that was damaged in shipping. Very fine crack in it that you don't even see until the fill plug is tightened (then it opens up.)

Being that the OP mentioned oil on the carb, I'm still inclined to believe it is coming from the fuel pump vent.

Back