Is it to late to start 🤔

No sir you are not to late. Like Econosprint2 said...go to your local track and talk with some fellow racers and get to know them , some may show you what kind of karts they have and what all you will need starting out. Check with the local track on different classes and age restrictions and stuff s you can get in a class to best suit your needs and budget as some classes get expensive. But before you pay a dime check out a local track so you know what karting is and make sure your boy enoys it. If he is like me he will love karting the moment he sees it!

My son just started last year at 14 and 5'9 and 215 lbs. He turned 15 part way thru season so he was eligible to run with the adults. We ran the Animal 375 class and the Extra Heavy Class with the same kart. He loved it and we had a lot of fun and great family memories. We finished second a few times but never got a win. He kept at it and we both learned a lot. I also never raced karts and learned a lot at 51 yrs old. The icing on the cake was at the end of the season we finished 2nd in those two divisions and he was so proud of himself. On a side note the first week out this year we tried a Predator 410 division with a second kart and won the feature. His reaction crossing the start finish line is a memory I will never forget. So in summary, it is not too late.

My son is 14 and 142lbs and wants to start racing Karts . Are we too late to the party ? What divisions could we run ? Seems like information is hard to find. Trying to do my homework before investing North of 20,000 to get started. We're in the SE Hickory, Nc and willing to travel. Looking to have fun and make memories. He'll be a learning driver and I guess I'm a learning crew chief. Thanks in advance for any information given 😊
You have a pm.

No absolutely not. Now if you are expecting little johnny to be the next jeff gordon/kyle larson I would say yes. Just remember a lot of 14yo’s have been racing most of their lives and are GOOD! Buy good equipment good tires and surround yourself with good people.

no sir, i'm 59 and 263 and just started karts this winter ( been in race cars 41 years) don't let the weight scare you.

You want dirt oval or something else ?
Jr 3 class most likely .
There is nka and akra rules organizations ,.
Mostly different engine rules .
20k all new stuff , excess .

No sir you are not to late. Like Econosprint2 said...go to your local track and talk with some fellow racers and get to know them , some may show you what kind of karts they have and what all you will need starting out. Check with the local track on different classes and age restrictions and stuff s you can get in a class to best suit your needs and budget as some classes get expensive. But before you pay a dime check out a local track so you know what karting is and make sure your boy enoys it. If he is like me he will love karting the moment he sees

My son just started last year at 14 and 5'9 and 215 lbs. He turned 15 part way thru season so he was eligible to run with the adults. We ran the Animal 375 class and the Extra Heavy Class with the same kart. He loved it and we had a lot of fun and great family memories. We finished second a few times but never got a win. He kept at it and we both learned a lot. I also never raced karts and learned a lot at 51 yrs old. The icing on the cake was at the end of the season we finished 2nd in those two divisions and he was so proud of himself. On a side note the first week out this year we tried a Predator 410 division with a second kart and won the feature. His reaction crossing the start finish line is a memory I will never forget. So in summary, it is not

Last edited:
No sir you are not to late. Like Econosprint2 said...go to your local track and talk with some fellow racers and get to know them , some may show you what kind of karts they have and what all you will need starting out. Check with the local track on different classes and age restrictions and stuff s you can get in a class to best suit your needs and budget as some classes get expensive. But before you pay a dime check out a local track so you know what karting is and make sure your boy enoys it. If he is like me he will love karting the moment he sees

My son just started last year at 14 and 5'9 and 215 lbs. He turned 15 part way thru season so he was eligible to run with the adults. We ran the Animal 375 class and the Extra Heavy Class with the same kart. He loved it and we had a lot of fun and great family memories. We finished second a few times but never got a win. He kept at it and we both learned a lot. I also never raced karts and learned a lot at 51 yrs old. The icing on the cake was at the end of the season we finished 2nd in those two divisions and he was so proud of himself. On a side note the first week out this year we tried a Predator 410 division with a second kart and won the feature. His reaction crossing the start finish line is a memory I will never forget. So in summary, it is not too
You want dirt oval or something else ?
Jr 3 class most likely .
There is nka and akra rules organizations ,.
Mostly different engine rules .
20k all new stuff , excess .

Last edited:
2 karts a few motors and all the little stuff like tachs and lead 20k won't go very far

If your just starting out why get all that? What happens if he loses interest? No reason to go out and buy brand new everything. Get a used late model chassis, two motors, single tach, couple clutches, and invest in tires. Biggest thing starting out isn't about investing in all brand new it's about getting seat time. Whose to say he won't get discouraged if he's not up front or getting lapped. Don't make the mistake I've seen numerous people make over the years.

Seat time for him and for you learn about setup and tires.

If your just starting out why get all that? What happens if he loses interest? No reason to go out and buy brand new everything. Get a used late model chassis, two motors, single tach, couple clutches, and invest in tires. Biggest thing starting out isn't about investing in all brand new it's about getting seat time. Whose to say he won't get discouraged if he's not up front or getting lapped. Don't make the mistake I've seen numerous people make over the years.

Seat time for him and for you learn about setup

Last edited:
Well I understand what you are saying.. but we want good equipment so we know what we have. I have raced go karts as a kid and I've raced cars several years on asphalt short tracks . Most good used equipment I've seen is around 2k 2017 stuff new ultramax is 3 grand so it's kinda hard to not just purchase new .. used motor I would never buy unless I knew who it came from . Buy once cry once . I own a painting company and I've spent thousands racing cars I don't mind investing in my kid .. he grew up at a race track and loves racing he understands that the best drivers in the world lose more than they win that's racing
I have a 13 year old son who races. I will tell you that anything 2011 and up would be a good start. He runs a 2011 chassis and is still up front with the new chassis. Just make sure whatever chassis,engine, and clutch you decide to buy has good if not great support in your area.

New does eliminate a lot of variables about equipment .
Pick a chassis , a engine guy and tire guy . If all three mesh thats good .
Not. Always the case .

Back