Is it to late to start šŸ¤”

Charger is a hot chassis now. I don't know how customer service is and stuff but in many areas charger is dominating right now. I am on Kinetik and it is a FAST chassis at my local track and I mean FAST. But in reality man just get a good chassis and then just worry about TIRES,TIRES,TIRES. Get on a program and stay on it and be consistent with tires.

Or 10 with 8000 different labels tire/prep guy shortens the curve .
Plus they working with several people too draw info from . Just sayin .
Your choice.

My son is 14 and 142lbs and wants to start racing Karts . Are we too late to the party ? What divisions could we run ? Seems like information is hard to find. Trying to do my homework before investing North of 20,000 to get started. We're in the SE Hickory, Nc and willing to travel. Looking to have fun and make memories. He'll be a learning driver and I guess I'm a learning crew chief. Thanks in advance for any information given šŸ˜Š
My son started last year at 12 and turned 13 during the season. He is a big boy. 5'10" 155lbs. We got spanked starting out for about 5 races. Things really came around at the end of the season and we scored a few poles and had a lot of good runs. He started in JR3 and definitely got thrown to the wolves but in the end our competitors pushed us to get better. Looking back I was holding him back more than his age, height, weight, or ability. If you get connected with good people willing to help and you and the boy are willing to put in the work you'll do great. Some of my favorite childhood memories are karting with my father and driving back so late the sun was rising on a Sunday morning :) GOOD LUCK!

My son started last year at 12 and turned 13 during the season. He is a big boy. 5'10" 155lbs. We got spanked starting out for about 5 races. Things really came around at the end of the season and we scored a few poles and had a lot of good runs. He started in JR3 and definitely got thrown to the wolves but in the end our competitors pushed us to get better. Looking back I was holding him back more than his age, height, weight, or ability. If you get connected with good people willing to help and you and the boy are willing to put in the work you'll do great. Some of my favorite childhood memories are karting with my father and driving back so late the sun was rising on a Sunday morning :) GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:
My advice would be don't get discouraged. In the south east especially in the Carolinas are the top kart racers in the Country. I don't care how much racing you've done outside of karting this is a different ball game. Seen many a good late model driver accuse every kart racer of cheating and seen the best kart racer out there struggle trying to race big cars. Most important is to have fun! good luck!

My advice would be don't get discouraged. In the south east especially in the Carolinas are the top kart racers in the Country. I don't care how much racing you've done outside of karting this is a different ball game. Seen many a good late model driver accuse every kart racer of cheating and seen the best kart racer out there struggle trying to race big cars. Most important is to have fun! good luck!
This is so true it ain't even funny. You take the suspension out and it's literally a different game all together. He's also right the most important thing is to have FUN.

I had a bad encounter with someone who had bought all new stuff after being out for awhile and he didn't like that I was faster so he not only wrecked me during the race but also after the checkered and shortly thereafter he sold everything. Couple years past and he showed back up racing someone else's equipment and after that night never seen him again. After he wrecked me and sold out his excuse was it wasn't fun anymore.

This is so true it ain't even funny. You take the suspension out and it's literally a different game all together. He's also right the most important thing is to have FUN.

I had a bad encounter with someone who had bought all new stuff after being out for awhile and he didn't like that I was faster so he not only wrecked me during the race but also after the checkered and shortly thereafter he sold everything. Couple years past and he showed back up racing someone else's equipment and after that night never seen him again. After he wrecked me and sold out his excuse was it wasn't

Last edited:
The first thing you need to do is go to the track you want to run. Find out what class and what rule set they run under before you spend a penny. Nothing wrong with buying new if you choose to spend your money that way.

Yes sir ! Winning memories is what we're shooting for. Good luck to y'all
Get started, stick to it, and use common sense and the good runs and wins will come. Even when we were getting lapped I learned to focus on the positives! Sometimes itā€™s the little things like the JR driver pushed the kart back to pit, took the tires off and cleaned them without being told because they know what needs to be done. Or they told their competitors ā€œcongratulationsā€ without being prompted. After about three months of racing every other weekend i could trust my son to loosen the engine and change the gear on the rear axle & tightened everything back up, bolt his tires on straight, etc. (I still check behind him for safety). Success is measured in many ways! šŸ˜Š

I understand car setup as I've raced years so I think I can figure out karts with a guy I can ask a few questions I understand caster camber stagger just need to figure out how they mesh on a kart I understand tires but my weaknesses is what prep to use where are reading the dirt . 8000 tire preps available these days

We started racing karts way past my 20+ years of running dirt and asphalt cars and I, like you, thought it would be a piece of cake compared to late model and sprint car racing, I was wrong to the point that it was actually a hinderance.

Hey Bernied, we are in Lawsonville Nc, not too far from Hickory. We have a good crowd of local jr racers, and would love to help you guys get in the sport. We offer free practice days for rookies every Sunday after our race nights, that would be ideal time to get your son some much needed seat time. There are multiple teams that race with us that I could get you in contact with that would help get you going. Anything we can do to help, just reach out. You can check us out here- https://www.facebook.com/lawsonvillenc/
Thanks, Devin Steele

Hey Bernied, we are in Lawsonville Nc, not too far from Hickory. We have a good crowd of local jr racers, and would love to help you guys get in the sport. We offer free practice days for rookies every Sunday after our race nights, that would be ideal time to get your son some much needed seat time. There are multiple teams that race with us that I could get you in contact with that would help get you going. Anything we can do to help, just reach out. You can check us out here- https://www.facebook.com/lawsonvillenc/
Thanks, Devin

Last edited:
Man that's awesome. We will get in touch with you as soon as we finish getting our equipment together. We will definitely come out and support you guys when the time comes I appreciate you reaching out that tells me alot about what kinda of program you are running. THANK YOU
Absolutely! We look forward to having you guys down. Any questions feel free to reach out:)

Back