is my kart alcohol or gas?

swilder

I just bought this kart from a guy that didn't know anything about it. I poured out what I thought was methanol out of the tank. I prefer to run it on gas because I am a "newbie". My question is do I need to change anything to convert it to gas?

Briggs&Stratton model 133230

Tillotson HL diaphragm carb

Euro Star Kart

Yes, the carb jetting is very different gas to alky. You don't want to run alky through a gas set up, it will be way too lean and could burn things up. Gas through an alky set up will just run bad. As far as I know that is the only difference.

If it has a Tillotson carb on it now, chances are pretty high that it has had the drill pattern done for alcohol (and cannot be undone - at least not feasibly yourself.)

You can certainly change out the carb for gas and probably be just fine. If you plan to run it for extended periods of time (10 minutes or more) I'd highly recommend changing the ignition timing as well to keep from overheating the engine (alcohol is not only higher octane, but cools the engine better than gasoline.)

Here again, if it has a Tilly carb on it now, it just might have a big cam in it (or big valves) or other high performance parts that would require additional fueling (even on gas.) Simply bolting a stock Briggs carb on it for that model engine might well melt it down as well. This is probably something better suited for an engine builder to tackle unless you can afford to risk losing the engine.

It would help if you filled out your profile on here.
Depending on where you are located, there may be a builder near you. If not, there are plenty of good ones available that you can ship the engine to and have gone through before you hurt anything in it.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com

Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry

765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back