Is the disk brake shield necessary?

The story I heard was the seat mounting broke. The rotor severed his spine. It should be a rule if its not.

I've seen the aftermath of a racer who lost the chain guard and then the chain broke, can't even imagine a brake rotor letting go and no wolfplate..
Happened to my dad in the late 80’s. Chain busted through the guard and wrapped his arm.

If the brake is behind the seat, you need one.
If you need one, give us a call - we'd be glad to help you.
If there is a kart shop local to you, support them if possible.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Support your local gunfighter/ kart shop.

These are becoming fewer and fewer.
Margins are just too close to make it worth the expense and bother.

If ya got someone, try like hell to keep them.

Guys remember … this post is in the beginner section
, so let’s educate the guy not criticize him. To my knowledge the guard (Wolfe plate) is mandatory in all sanctioning rule sets, AKRA, NKA, and WKA, when it come to safety by all means go with it, you’ve had the thought of safe.. and it’s not there then it probably should be even if it’s not a mandatory rule… helmets are always a big topic, and my answer will always be “pay the price of a helmet that you think your head is worth”

Guys remember … this post is in the beginner section

^^^. Agree !!!
Beginner or not, when it's your kid out there, i would certainly hope the parent would be checking out everything safety related before putting them out on the track...almost everytime I go race my kart somewhere, the pit meetings are filled with accounts of kids going out on the track without neckbraces, helmets not secured properly, loose seat belts/arm restraints (cage karts) and it's always tracks that DO NOT have any kind of pre-race tech/safety inspection...guess it's the same old story, takes somebody getting seriously hurt before some will pay any attention to these critical safety issues...sorry, rant over...🤨

I've seen the aftermath of a racer who lost the chain guard and then the chain broke, can't even imagine a brake rotor letting go and no wolfplate..😳
6DC6EF6E-D623-4197-B70F-3BCE41E4E5BB.jpeg
D5E2FBC9-7601-4B61-ACA3-37B8F9F13D11.jpeg

That’s with the chain guard eating up most of the impact. It wasn’t fun. Safety first !! (That was with an elbow pad/heat guard under my jacket too)

Last edited:
Beginner or not, when it's your kid out there, i would certainly hope the parent would be checking out everything safety related before putting them out on the track...almost everytime I go race my kart somewhere, the pit meetings are filled with accounts of kids going out on the track without neckbraces, helmets not secured properly, loose seat belts/arm restraints (cage karts) and it's always tracks that DO NOT have any kind of pre-race tech/safety inspection...guess it's the same old story, takes somebody getting seriously hurt before some will pay any attention to these critical safety issues...sorry, rant over...🤨

Agree - just making the point that sometimes safety tech is not obvious at local tracks. Better to help someone on the forum before an issue occurs.

Back