Is the disk brake shield necessary?

Scotty oliver has a scar on his side where the clutch burned thru his seat 3rd degree burns,seat post broke he won the race,but has a scar size of a bully on his side.šŸ¤£i said why didnt ya pull off i was leading the race.
Thats why I have a steel plate on my seat

The Wolfe plate arrived without mounting hardware, but I will figure it out. Plus I have the aluminum heat shield chain guard on the Predator. My original Tornado Kart from the '60s had a metal seat back, so we did not worry about the disk brake rotor coming through that seat back. It had a cam-style mechanical brake, no hydraulics, and the brake rotor was an actual clutch disk. Thank you, everyone, for your help and opinions. My son's safety is my very first concern.

My son almost got dq'd his first race because in the haste of putting the kart together I forgot to put it on. Luckily I had my kart there and removed mine and I sat out that night. Probably the most fun I had sitting and watching my son.

43E49C90-532D-4CCD-AC6E-194CED34F0CF.jpeg

After a few weeks of getting more familiar with the Sythe I am finding more and more items that have been substituted removing safety hardware. I watched the factory video that is online the other day where they assemble a PRC kart and now saw the missing hardware on mine. When I installed the Micron mount I found the steering way wheel hub bolts had been changed out but did know about the missing factory safety cotter pins holes, I ordered these though PRC and the same for the caliper bolts. Apparently the previous owner took the shield. In addition to the missing shield, the installed bolts were too short for a new shield to bolt through and had no safety cotter pins, again, PRC to the rescue. Since I had just installed a new seat using the old hardware I ordered new seat hardware too. The thought of impaling on the spinning disk rotor is pretty dreadful. I ordered a second shield directly from PRC this time so that I don't have to modify this critical safety equipment. Back when I was racing karts in the late 60s as a 12 yr old we did not have this level of safety, and there were no tech inspections, just vigilant Dads. The safety level is night and day now and appropriate. I am grateful for the concern and advice from this board.

Last edited:
Back