is there a way to increase the weight in the front (mostly) equally? other than adjusting shims

Being tall, I've had to do both what Lake and Kj26 said on every kart I've ever run. I mount the 5lb puck around a frame rail up front if possible to keep it off the body, though. I also make the chain as long as possible to get the motor forward some.

-Andy

shims really are more for cross.
move seat forward or add weight.
it seems so simple doesn't it! And you're right! But some are so rigid in their set up advice that it seems others are afraid to wander from the posted norms.

In Sprint racing, because the tracks are normally available on off days, we did a lot of testing of new ideas and compared them against the norms. More often than not, the norms were good, but every once in a while a new idea came along that made a positive difference.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

I would move the seat forward first, then the motor, then add lead. Make sure that more nose weight is what you really need. When you say "turning traction" if you're talking about a dirt oval you might be able to make it turn better by increasing rear stagger or messing with front camber. Increasing the left front camber (within reason) will usually help the kart turn, too. If you're on an asphalt road course, ignore everything I said except the first sentence.

Depends on how much front weight: Get thin sheet lead put over the floor pan and bolt both to the the chassis tabs under the gas tank ...................lets know if this works .....
weights lower to the ground should be better I think..............

Whenever possible, avoid lead in front of the front wheels or behind the rear wheels. In my opinion, neither is helpful for trying to rotate (turn) the kart. Tire treatment might get you to where you want to go, also.

I noticed you are new to the sport. You could be misdiagnosing a problem. Are you sure the driving line is correct? There's just so many factors here that focusing on adding front weight might not be the right solution.

Back