is this true

Remember what happened when McCullough sold out!
Anybody want to guess on the price of new clones in the future? I've always heard that competition drives the price down, what will happen with no competition?
Who's going to write the rules for the LO206 class?
Will that class still exist?
What if the Chinese do buy the company? Will they then support karting like Briggs & Stratton?
It appears that 4 cycle karting is headed for a few bumps down the road.
2 cycle karting had a savior, their name was Yamaha, who will save 4 cycle karting?
I think the 4 cycle rules makers should be keeping a very close eye on the situation. I see a potential catastrophe for all 4 cycle karting!
I wonder how hard it would be for the European engine builders to come out with a toned down 2 cycle? Maybe a 50 mL, small carb, low compression? For the juniors!
I'm guessing the 2 cycle builders are burning the midnight oil right now? lola you

Briggs sells the LO206 cheap. I'd pay more for one if it keeps the program alive. But in the corporate word even good products can be cancelled and there isn't always a good reason.

Yamaha may have been the savior for 2 cycle engines in the past but no longer. Vortex and Iame are the saviors of 2 cycle racing now. And they both produce 100cc engines.

Briggs just missed a $6.5M interest payment to the bank. Lost $85M so far this year compared to a $8M profit this time last year.

All the major OEM's are either building their own engines or using a mixture of their own plus, Kohler, Kawasaki of which have other business models to help keep them a float during the down times. Briggs has nothing else to fall back on unfortunately.

You can kiss the LO206 program goodbye, sorry not being negative nancy but that will be one of the first they shutdown/sell. It was the only thing that saved 4 cycle sprint karting, so am not sure what the future holds unless they pick up Honda as USAC has with quarter midgets. I have absolutely ZERO interest in clones and we will not run them.

Already looking at what our options are for next year, going 2 cycle racing it will be but what package.

My totally uninformed and ignorant opinion is that chances are they will negotiate with lenders and survive this will be the best thing for us. If a venture capitol company buys it, the company will sell the profitable sections of the company and institute severe cost reduction on what remains. That would not be good for racing.

Briggs just missed a $6.5M interest payment to the bank. Lost $85M so far this year compared to a $8M profit this time last year.

All the major OEM's are either building their own engines or using a mixture of their own plus, Kohler, Kawasaki of which have other business models to help keep them a float during the down times. Briggs has nothing else to fall back on unfortunately.

You can kiss the LO206 program goodbye, sorry not being negative nancy but that will be one of the first they shutdown/sell. It was the only thing that saved 4 cycle sprint karting, so am not sure what the future holds unless they pick up Honda as USAC has with quarter midgets. I have absolutely ZERO interest in clones and we will not run them.

Already looking at what our options are for next year, going 2 cycle racing it will be but what package.

You’ll find that two cycle racing is the most fun you can have with your pants on. And the naysayers who say it’s too expensive are the same guys who spend $5K a year for top shelf clones, new chassis and tires. LOL

You’ll find that two cycle racing is the most fun you can have with your pants on. And the naysayers who say it’s too expensive are the same guys who spend $5K a year for top shelf clones, new chassis and tires. LOL
Going faster doesn't equal more fun.....
I'd rather race box stock predator with a field of 20 instead of 2 strokes with a field of 5
2 strokes are flat-out just more expensive, there's no denying that - at least in the world of sprint racing. 206 was huge and brought A LOT of people from everywhere into karting because it was very affordable. If it wasn't for 206, I'd never been able to afford to race sprint and be competitive. No way.
There's a reason 4-strokes DOMINATE racing yet much slower than 2-strokes....it's not about power and speed that makes racing fun

It's upsetting to see this as I was hoping to hop back into sprint racing next year :/

Going faster doesn't equal more fun.....
I'd rather race box stock predator with a field of 20 instead of 2 strokes with a field of 5
2 strokes are flat-out just more expensive, there's no denying that - at least in the world of sprint racing. 206 was huge and brought A LOT of people from everywhere into karting because it was very affordable. If it wasn't for 206, I'd never been able to afford to race sprint and be competitive. No way.
There's a reason 4-strokes DOMINATE racing yet much slower than 2-strokes....it's not about power and speed that makes racing fun

It's upsetting to see this as I was hoping to hop back into sprint racing next year :/
Briggs could charge twice what they do for the LO206 and it would still be a good deal. I would still buy one at that price. We have a great group of 206 cadets we race with - it is the most popular motor at our club.

Name a 2 stroke engine that is affordable at the initial purchase new and will last multiple seasons without a rebuild....

Oh wait there isnt one.

Or you let the rebuild go and performance dwindles till it either sticks or blows up. Face it theres pros and cons to every engine does not matter if its 2 or 4 stroke.

Not trying to be a wise ass but I've got DAP T60 rotary valve engines that are 35to 40 years old show me a clone that could even think about that. Ya initial cost back then probably a 1000 . Not a clone on the planet that would touch one even in stock form and mine are nowhere near stock. I can only hope it does a 360 in my opinion no better bang for the buck I'm done later Chuck.

Back