Issue with axle

I have to change out my sprocket hub to put a new one on. I got some advice about what I needed to do. Slide the axle out, put the new one in, then slide it back in. I loosened all the screws I was supposed to, removed the screws from the bearings, filed down the spots from those screws. I had to use a rubber mallet just to get the axle to move. I got it all the way flush with the bearings. I tried pulling from the other end and it will not budge. Any tips on what to do..

Push it back out a little and file the edge slightly. If it doesn't go through then, use a socket the same inside diameter as the bearing and hit with your mallet.

I had a similar issue with an axle that had an accumulation of rust on the surface of the axle. On a separate kart I cleaned the axle with emery cloth first and it came out much easier. You mention the bearings but what about the brake and sprocket hubs are they loose on the axle. You might have to loosen the bearing mounts to the chassis too especially if the axle isn't straight.

I had a similar issue with an axle that had an accumulation of rust on the surface of the axle. On a separate kart I cleaned the axle with emery cloth first and it came out much easier. You mention the bearings but what about the brake and sprocket hubs are they loose on the axle. You might have to loosen the bearing mounts to the chassis too especially if the axle isn't straight.

xxxx

I guess I can try pushing the axle back out and filing down any spots I see that could be causing an issue.

That's what I would do, as sometimes you think you have all the high spots, until you try to get it out, and after pushing it back, you will see more.
Maybe there is a rolled lip on the very end of the axle from someone/something hitting it.

All it takes is a thousanth of an inch or two (printer paper is only .003" thick) to turn a slide fit into a press fit.
High spots will show up shinny after being forced into a bore.

You haven't tried everything or it would be out. Earlier you said you got it flush to the bearing bore. Back it up and file and sand that area as it was said earlier the end that is getting stuck is flared out a bit. Keep working at it you can do it. When it gets flush and you try to pull it on through, hammer the mallet against the bearing hanger as you pull.

You haven't tried everything or it would be out. Earlier you said you got it flush to the bearing bore. Back it up and file and sand that area as it was said earlier the end that is getting stuck is flared out a bit. Keep working at it you can do it. When it gets flush and you try to pull it on through, hammer the mallet against the bearing hanger as you pull.

xxxx

This is very common problem when removing axles. Hit the axle from the end with a soft hammer until you get it flush with the bearing. Then use the socket trick mentioned above to keep pushing through the bearing cassette. OR chase it with a spare axle to push the old one through. If your brake hub is hung up, it will need some persuasion too. Hit it using a piece of 2x4 or something as an extension so that you can swing your hammer. Hit the brake hub the opposite way of the axle (so that you are knocking it away from the brake pad you are stuck against. Spin the axle while you do this because it is often "wedged" in there (not parallel axis with the axle). A couple cycles of hitting the hub and then hitting the axle through further and then you will be over your rough spot and home free.

Loosen the nuts/bolts holding the brake rotor to the brake hub (normally 4 nuts/bolts). If you don't, the hub will not move freely on the axle even with the axle clamp released. A flathead screw driver wedged where the clamping bolt is located then helps also.

If it's that bad take a hacksaw and cut it in half or three peices if nessasary.
Then knock each component off individually.

Loosen the nuts/bolts holding the brake rotor to the brake hub (normally 4 nuts/bolts). If you don't, the hub will not move freely on the axle even with the axle clamp released. A flathead screw driver wedged where the clamping bolt is located then helps also.

xxxx

This is very common problem when removing axles. Hit the axle from the end with a soft hammer until you get it flush with the bearing. Then use the socket trick mentioned above to keep pushing through the bearing cassette. OR chase it with a spare axle to push the old one through. If your brake hub is hung up, it will need some persuasion too. Hit it using a piece of 2x4 or something as an extension so that you can swing your hammer. Hit the brake hub the opposite way of the axle (so that you are knocking it away from the brake pad you are stuck against. Spin the axle while you do this because it is often "wedged" in there (not parallel axis with the axle). A couple cycles of hitting the hub and then hitting the axle through further and then you will be over your rough spot and home free.

Thanks for the advice. I will try it.

when wedgeing screwdriver in brake hub, sometimes it hits pinch bolt before spreading hub flange. i don't know if you removed this bolt or not. but if not.

Just in case you're using flat pieces of sandpaper, emery cloth will clean the rough spots much quicker.

Just in case you're using flat pieces of sandpaper, emery cloth will clean the rough spots much quicker.

That's good to know about the emery cloth. Thanks. I bought a small file that I have been using.

- - - Updated - - -

when wedgeing screwdriver in brake hub, sometimes it hits pinch bolt before spreading hub flange. i don't know if you removed this bolt or not. but if not.

Yep. Removed both bolts.

Back