jackshaft clutch gear ?

What’s your motor and primary ratio? Good rule of thumb, keep heat and wear off the clutch by never running smaller than a 21 on the clutch. Make your adjustment on the rear gear and start at a 9.0 ratio and work your way up.

I’d start at 21/57/21/65. Start adding teeth on the axle until you find what you’re looking for. I ran a 9.1 ratio on a reed motor for bullrings and it was perfect.

I'm just wondering, why do they run such large primary gear sets? Wouldn't smaller gear sets let the chain run slower? Wouldn't that be an advantage?
jack shaft 5 6 20.jpg

I'm just wondering, why do they run such large primary gear sets? Wouldn't smaller gear sets let the chain run slower? Wouldn't that be an advantage?
View attachment 9139

It’s mostly to keep heat off the crank and imitate the similar crank speed a 4 cycle would produce using a dry clutch. 10.2 K engine RPM’s with a 2.71 primary would land you around 3700 at the clutch for engagement and so fourth. I think it’s just to keep the the dry clutch operating as intended for 4 cycle use.

Back