jackshaft setup

Doug Hess,

I am in the market for jackshaft for my kart to run L206 on 2 cycle chassis. Axle gear would be between left tire and bearing hanger. Obviously, clutch on same side. I would like to run belt drive at 1:1 ratio from crank to jackshaft primary. Belt gears to be 30 mm. Clutch would be Hilliard Flame with 14 to 16 driver. Used in good condition would work. Chassis is a Margay 1.7, international rails, 1.125” or 30mm Diameter. Let me know if you have something along these lines.

Robert “Wade“ Hutcherson

Doug Hess,

I am in the market for jackshaft for my kart to run L206 on 2 cycle chassis. Axle gear would be between left tire and bearing hanger. Obviously, clutch on same side. I would like to run belt drive at 1:1 ratio from crank to jackshaft primary. Belt gears to be 30 mm. Clutch would be Hilliard Flame with 14 to 16 driver. Used in good condition would work. Chassis is a Margay 1.7, international rails, 1.125” or 30mm Diameter. Let me know if you have something along these lines.

Robert “Wade“ Hutcherson
Can’t you just move the axle sprocket to the inside? Then run your clutch with the sprocket outboard on the crank. I don’t have anything 4 cycle related except a few BZ motors for my grandsons jr dragster.

If he wants to run off the left rear with the engine on the right the jackshaft would need to be the full width of the rear chassis . Or something around 40 inches long . ......
Doug Hess,

I am in the market for jackshaft for my kart to run L206 on 2 cycle chassis. Axle gear would be between left tire and bearing hanger

Doug,

Let me fine tune my post..

Sitting in the seat, the L206 Engine will be on my right. The crank from the engine extends from the left side. The JS primary is double ended. From the engine crank to the primary side of the JS, will be belt driven at 1:1 ratio. On the JS secondary the clutch will be mounted and connected to the rear gear with #35 chain.

Hope this clarifies what I am looking for..

Thank you for the help..

All depends on where you want the clutch and chain .
if on the right it will be relatively simple .
anything too the left not as simple still do able .

Ten 4
bmi has a nice one or burris has 4cycle specific types .
Contact Maddog he should have enough to get you started .
Some modification's are likely going to be needed even with new stuff .

Honestly i think your asking for trouble going this route .
Is it a seat bar or chassis bar in the way .

The cross bar behind the seat won’t allow the clutch on the left of the bearing hangers.
Use mini gears on the axle and adjust your input to the jackshaft accordingly.
The mini gears will be short enough that you can put the axle gear anywhere you want even above the chassis motor rails.

Use mini gears on the axle and adjust your input to the jackshaft accordingly.
The mini gears will be short enough that you can put the axle gear anywhere you want even above the chassis motor rails.
I meant to say rear gear to the left of the bearing hangers.

Some type off extended output shat ? If I could find it , i have a setup thats probably 5-6 inches . Bolts to the engine and has a outboard bearing .
The jackshaft deal is going to be close too 4-500 dollars and maynot even work .
A few pictures ccould help .

I seem to remember last year my son needed an odd length shaft for his 2 stroke kart to use a 4-stroke style clutch. Closest thing he found was at BMI Karts so he went to ordering one, expecting it would need to be shortened per their descriptions of theirs in their catalogue. He called and was told he happened to have what he needed because they have availability to custom length shafts. I don't know if they use a local machine shop or do this in house.

Back