Jetting help. Gy6 engine in yerf dog kart.

"bo g" what does that mean? I've always had this idea it means to rich! On the other hand, you may be describing too lean. You need to determine which it is.

If you put a new plug-in, drive the vehicle at wide open throttle, then check the plug, if it's dark, it's rich, if it's white, it's lean. Another clue is; at wide open throttle, when it's bogging, if the exhaust looks black, that's a sure sign of rich, no color, if bogging, a good sign of lean. Anyone with any kind of experience would see this instantly.
Bog as in it cuts out. Not revving.
ok so I obviously want it leaner, so do I move the clip down one for that? That’s what I would think...

Attachments

• 625A2AFC-B0D1-468E-A9C0-FA1548220C5A.jpeg
    625A2AFC-B0D1-468E-A9C0-FA1548220C5A.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 9
Bog as in it cuts out. Not revving.
ok so I obviously want it leaner, so do I move the clip down one for that? That’s what I would think...
You didn't tell me what the exhaust looks like! "It bogs" is not enough for me to determine what the problem is.

If it's so rich that it bogs, I don't think you can adjust the slide enough to cure it. Anyway you can tell me what size jets are in the carb? This is an easy problem for someone with experience and is near you. Someone at the track!

Not to put you down, no way, but your inexperience is part of the problem. My guess' seem to leave you wondering "what's this guy talking about". I apologize.

You didn't tell me what the exhaust looks like! "It bogs" is not enough for me to determine what the problem is.

If it's so rich that it bogs, I don't think you can adjust the slide enough to cure it. Anyway you can tell me what size jets are in the carb? This is an easy problem for someone with experience and is near you. Someone at the track!

Not to put you down, no way, but your inexperience is part of the problem. My guess' seem to leave you wondering "what's this guy talking about". I apologize.
No your good, I’m grateful for the help. The exhaust is smoky as in smoke clouds. So definitively rich.
right now the main is 105, I tried 104, and 103 and they all just sucked. The pilot is a 34

So I pulled apart the diaphragm and was on the lowest setting. As in the clip was on the lowest part of the needle. I moved it two notches up and it ran like literal **** pouring smoke out the exhaust. So I guess that must’ve enriched it. I guess it’s all up to the jetting now. I’m just surprised it needs so little fuel as the stock jetting is a 108 main.

The electric choke without 12 V will run on choke. after power is applied, the choke will close off after a few minutes. Make sure the choke is working properly and wired in.

The electric choke without 12 V will run on choke. after power is applied, the choke will close off after a few minutes. Make sure the choke is working properly and wired in.
Well... the battery is brand new so id think it would be fine. How do I know if its working properly though. Does it have like a certain amount of time it stay open cause maybe that's why im having a problem

If they go past ten minutes I 'm out .
Is your choke functional?
I meant its the boringest video I ever watched even though its short. Certainly NO detail left out.
Yes the choke is fine.
So I figure out how I fudged up. I had put the diaphragm needle on TOP of the piece that gets screwed down. So I put the clip all the way to the top of the needle and put it together the right way and it ran pretty good till mid throttle. I took the air filter off and it ran like a dream. I'm thinking, that air filter is WAY to restrictive. Should I just find some foam air filter I can bolt on?

Sounds easier then messing around with the jets .
Or put the original on .
Original was a k&n. Which means it isn't original. I'm thinking about getting one of those cheap foam filters off Amazon. That way I KNOW it's not over oiled.

Also, I've heard people say you need the 6 inch intake manifold running between the air filter and the carb. Im wondering if thats actually neccesary.

Do you think such low jetting has to do with the fact that the intake is only 39mm compared to a lot of the other carbs that are like 42mm?

I finally got an air filter, thanks @flattop1.
I installed it and it ran GREAT. Besides it won’t idle and dies at idle. Ok, so I check spark plug. Whiter than white. I put a 105 in it ( it had a 103). Runs even better. Pull the plug and this is what it looks like. So it’s SLIGHTLY tan but not really. Should I go up one? Or adjust my needle jet?

Attachments

• 0529136E-8A15-4A19-B5E0-1B3C177E1F56.jpeg
    0529136E-8A15-4A19-B5E0-1B3C177E1F56.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 8
Seeing as no one has imputed any opinions .
I will venture one .
The new engines run pretty lean , partly due to emission standards and maybe fuel efficiency standards .
Overall it looks a little lean .
I'm no plug reading expert , the body shows a little carbon , the ground strap is clean as is the porcelain . Possibly a colder plug would make the needed difference .
The center electrode shows some wear , was it a new plug ?
If itstarts showing spec's of unknown material it definitely too lean or too much ignition advance . Ie: preignition or detenation .
I would try a colder plug first .
As too the idle is there a idle mixture adjustment and does it have any effect . Might try wrapping a bag around most of the filter 7/8 of it if it idles better . That would indicate lean .

Back