jr class

kk15

What does everyone think about haveing jr classes ru.ning a box stock preadator allow the top plate for saftey. I think it would be better for the cost of it. Instead of haveng 600/700 hundard in a motor you could set a kid up for about $150 in a motor it be alot cheaper. Keep the same restricter plate rules. I think we could get more kids involed because it wouldnt cost as much

Where are they running the predator engine in Indiana?

Personally, I miss the days of taking a flathead anywhere in the country and knowing you will have plenty of competition (let alone enough to make a class) and knowing the rules were the same no matter where you take your kart.

I don't think that the introduction price of the engines is what's hurting kids' participation. Rules and class fragmentation (different age requirements, weights, engine packages, plates, pipes, clutches used at different tracks) has new people to the sport leaving with their heads spinning!

I get probably a call a day from a family wanting to get into karting, and I have to ask a series of questions before even telling them what I have to offer them, so that I know I can offer them a package that is legal for the track they will be running at. I've done this all my life (karting 42 years and owning a kart shop for 26 years) and it makes MY head spin!

We're KILLING the sport by having so many classes. Keep it simple and the racers will bring a kart that is able to run in the class that you offer for their age/weight. Introducing even more classes just fragments the already small pool of people who want to spend money week in and week out to stay at the local Saturday night track 12-14 hours a weekend.

Cost of tires, tire work, tire preps, tire rotisseries, tire hot boxes, etc etc etc are a much bigger concern right now than the price of engines at $800 - $1000. We had plenty of participation when flatheads were priced similarly. Wasn't that long ago and the economy wasn't much better then. What happened that derailed the train? The promise of cheaper (clone) race engines with a serious lack of enforceable rules, in my opinion.

Hey, I could be all wrong on my assessment. Most tracks have a "bring 3 and we'll make a class for you" rule -- try it -- bring 3 and see if it catches on.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

You got alot of good points i just seeing what people are saying.
Only class they run predator that i know is box stock class for adults

I got a better idea, how about we get rid of all the engines but one, maybe the 206. Then get rid of all the classes but rookie, jr1, jr2, stock light, med, and heavy. Then the tracks can decide if they want a super heavy and an outlaw class. With an age limit of 18 or above for heavy. The reason I say this is a lot of people do not like racing the kids. Yes the are fast but they also dont pay the bills and tend to drive like that. Not all so dont think im talking about your kid its just my opinion backed by several others I have spoke with.

Back