JR1 Green Plate Clone gearing?

Racerdad15

Can you guys gimme some help on how does the gearing work on these restricted clones?
It's a 3/16 clay oval. Tight corners so have to lift on corner entry. 4.71 ratio (14/66) current gear. 5356 max rpm but about 1800 rpm dropoff. Looks like our kart is missing some acceleration on corner exit since it has so much dropoff.
We've heard turn about 5200-5400 rpms is ideal, some say turn much less rpms, others say turn higher lol. Fastest kid kart there sounds like he's turning 6500 but no clue what he's actually turning. We turned his 6100 once at a different track by accident and looked/sounded fast as hell but didn't wanna risk hurting it.
Competitors are anywhere from a 12-15 clutch gear so not sure what to try out?

Are you sure it's 3/16th mile track ? That's 990 lf only 66 lf shy of a 1/5th mile you say OVAL which got my attention, not to many tracks that big with TIGHT TURNS, Which Track is it ? and where ?
5200 to 5400 RPM is closer Red Plate RPM Green would be closer 5700 to 5900 RPM, Size of the track and How much Momentum the track has and How well it grips up plays a big part in which front driver to choose, also the DRIVER of the kart has to be maximizing that momentum to run front driver size that will be the fastest. Then IF your tires are to far off you'll chase gearing till the cows come home.
Do you feel Your tires are close ? Do you feel your little driver behind the wheel is maximizing Momentum as well as the fastest Kid ?

We’re not the most experienced out there but I think we are close tire /driving wise. I’m just judging as his corner entry, cut, middle, gas zone he is on there bumper but on exit zone they gain a kart length or so then the speed evens out about half straightaway and there engines have a drastically different sound on the straits. It’s def not a momentum track...have to lift or use a touch of brake to make the corner and stay off the gas till the middle.

If your that close only loosing a kart length on exit and can make it up some I'd say what your seeing is mostly because of LOW RPM get it up to at least 5700 RPM, If I'm understanding you correctly your now on a 14/66 turning 5350 RPM so you have 350 RPM to gain That would mean with the 14 you would need a 69 to 70 rear, That throws a flag up to me I'm wondering IF with the 14/66 your not gear bound, have you ever ran like a 14/62 to know what it did.
Plus check your PM

1800 is a high drop, but I don't know what track you're racing. In the southeast on momentum tracks we get down below 300 drops quite often with green plates. Do the leaders have to let off also?

Back