JR3 Purple Plate Clone - Idle Speed

Slick27

Do the plate motors typically idle higher than a stock unrestricted clone?

New to plate motors and just curious.

What should it be set it anyways.

Thanks

Plate motors are not supposed to idle as they foul plugs, but we always had ours around 21-2200.

A purple plate should idle around 2600rpm
with a clutch engagement of about 3200 rpm.

Here's a screenshot from last night's work.
Screenshot 2021-06-04 131646.jpg

OP search no further
Except a purple plate and a blue plate engine are extremely different! A blue plate Jr3 engine is barely restricted and pretty much runs exactly the same as an unrestricted engine. 95% of the time my son runs faster lap times than adult Med and Heavy classes!

If you have a purple plate, that should be Jr2 at least thats how it is all over the SE. Jr3 is blue plate.

Except a purple plate and a blue plate engine are extremely different! A blue plate Jr3 engine is barely restricted and pretty much runs exactly the same as an unrestricted engine. 95% of the time my son runs faster lap times than adult Med and Heavy classes!

If you have a purple plate, that should be Jr2 at least thats how it is all over the SE. Jr3 is blue plate.
The OP states purple plate, Big Chris states purple plate, I realize Jr 3 is usually blue plate.

Chris what would you suggest max rpm on this engine 6000, 6200?
Depends on the track shape and surface.
Large (1/5 or 1/4 mile) good grip, some banking, kart is handling well. Driver can essentially flat foot it. Drops south of 800rpm. I'd be shooting for 6000 ish.

Small track (1/8 or 1/10 mile) paperclip or bull ring shape. A track with poor grip or an ill handling kart. Drops of 1000 rpm or more. I'd be shooting for 6400....

These are starting points. The stopwatch does not lie. Lap times trump engine rpm without exception. If you getting caught at the end of the straight, drop teeth from the rear gear. If your kart is handling poorly, or you have a timid driver, add teeth to the rear.

yea, the kid is fast.

Jr champ is purple plate clone (325 i think) most places I see. I really appreciate the information everyone.

Good luck to everyone and see ya at the track.

Back