Just a plea for all the race parents

Well this was our 3rd race weekend at the Kart Track in Punta Gorda Florida and the improvement by myself and my son has been greatly improving week by week. He is now at the speed that he is mixing it up midpack which is great. Unfortunately one of the kids were a little aggressive (not just with him but with a couple of other drivers as well) which is fine theyare all out there learning and track officials do a good job policing them as best they can. I am a firefighter paramedic in the same county as the track and his mom is an ER nurse so safety is one thing we obviously did not skimp on and I am glad of it. He was run off the track and hit one of the tires that protect the field from the concrete light poles hard enough it broke the body in 4 different areas and the seat broke as well. The 2 track offials said that was 100% the hardest hit they have ever seen there. Luckily he was wearing a chest protector because the steering wheel caught him as he flew foreword. He did bruise his chest and his side where the seat broke. All in all he is ok just very sore which is to be expected ( and his excuse to stay home from school today so he could watch the race LOL). But please help to remind the kids and adults we are all out there for fun and please use all safety equipment that is available whether its mandated for your class or not. Had he not been wearing the chest protector this would have been a very serious situation. Some of the people in his class dont wear them because its not mandated for JR3 but I have no doubt he will wear one for as long as he is in Karts. And I cannot not express enough how other kids and parents and official came to check on him after it was all over it really shows the class of people that are apart of this sport. He might be a little timid next race but he is already chomping at the bit to get out there, and neither can I.

Glad he is OK. What kind of protector was it? I feel like ours is a little skimpy for the speeds our jr2s run. Were not fast enough to be aggressive yet, but the guys we look up to, don't do business that way. Good reminder to the adults for when you get wild on or off the track, little eyes are ALWAYS watching. It can be easy to forget in the moment. Hope things calm down, down there.

Glad he is OK. What kind of protector was it? I feel like ours is a little skimpy for the speeds our jr2s run. Were not fast enough to be aggressive yet, but the guys we look up to, don't do business that way. Good reminder to the adults for when you get wild on or off the track, little eyes are ALWAYS watching. It can be easy to forget in the moment. Hope things calm down, down there.
It is a Valhalla Armadillo chest protector......they have my endorsement lol

Jr3 kids absolutely fly! 99% of the time my son is turning same lap times, speeds or faster than the adult unrestricted classes! I agree, GOOD helmets, and neck braces as well as a good chest protector as invaluable! These kids are aggressive and absolutely race their hearts out at this age and sometimes its can get a bit out of control.

Another endorsement for the armadillo.

When we raced in PA & NY chest protectors were required by the track for JR2 and below. I was surprised when we moved that other tracks don't have the same rule.

I’m 43 and still run with an Armordillo chest protector on. Cheap insurance in my eyes. Glad everyone’s ok. Be safe out there.

Some rib protectors used in karting are not designed to protect your ribs in case of impact, but to prevent ribs from cracking from forces and vibrations involved when racing on asphalt sprint tracks. This used to be a common issue with direct drive karts and is very common with shifters too.

Some kids are just more aggressive than others. And some parents are able to come in and dump a pile of money on timmy and have a fast kart but he doesn't know what to do with it. My oldest was overly aggressive when we got fast. He has finally calmed down and learned how to pass and not run over and wreck himself and others. The track has to talk to them about holding lines and lay out penalties(especially on the straight away) you cant turn left or right in the middle of the straight and run someone out of the way or off the track and get away with it.

Back