Just a tire rant my opinion

Open tire Or spec tire , NOT brand specific

• Open Tire

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Spec Tire

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
See this is one of the problems with karting. There are better tires on the market than maxxis in my opinion.
I know a track promoter who is a maxxis only track. He told me that he has to maintain a certain kart count each time he opens the track to get year end tires from maxxis. Then when that count falls off for one reason or another no year end tires. To me thats just wrong.
Ive seen another major brand give more back to smaller venues which makes it worth for someone to support that brand.
I would like to see Cobra take off, especially for the cost 139$ a set, and no need to have them cut or sanded.
It will be hard because of promoters and tire guys and the fight They will put up.
Just my honest opinion

Agreed , the tracks got so deep in with maxxis they can't afford to get away from them. If drivers just say nope not for me no maxxis it will cause a real issue for tracks

139.00$ a set is nice . Will the price creep up as they are more accepted ?

On the cobra site Chester has said no, I also hope they don't sell cases either it will be same problem as maxxis throw away tires.

Perfect world they are sold in sets of 3 or 4 only.

If guy's take them to open tire rule tracks and win on them, price will more than creep up. 😉

What if they just made a budget tire to have the same monopoly as maxxis and pushed them out. It would then cause a price war w maxxis. Again if people like them and price point and get off maxxis the maxxis only tracks will have to stop taking maxxis money or go open tire rule.

No maxxis money you will see lower purses and then the top guys don't have a reason.

Now we're getting back to racing. Making a living off karts is wild, they pay better than stock cars for big shows now. But again with manufacturers money.

See this is one of the problems with karting. There are better tires on the market than maxxis in my opinion.
I know a track promoter who is a maxxis only track. He told me that he has to maintain a certain kart count each time he opens the track to get year end tires from maxxis. Then when that count falls off for one reason or another no year end tires. To me thats just wrong.
Ive seen another major brand give more back to smaller venues which makes it worth for someone to support that brand.
I would like to see Cobra take off, especially for the cost 139$ a set, and no need to have them cut or sanded.
It will be hard because of promoters and tire guys and the fight They will put up.
Just my honest opinion

cobra’s still need to be cut

cobra’s still need to be cut

That's ok , burris run better cut but last like 3or 4 years. I am really hoping that these cobra will be a better investment like tires were in the past. Not throw away tires.

Thank you for the input I genuinely appreciate learning more especially about the cobra tires!

Cobra tire came out in 2017, why now are all of you jumping on board? Where were you 2-3 yrs ago?
The karters will decide which tire will be the predominant tire, as sales control that.
All are good tires, if everyone is on same tire.

I wish some of you could of been here for the days we ran Firestones, mount new tire, after heat race flip tire, after feature trash tire.
Do away with prep and you wont be able to keep up with new tires every time you hit the track, and if you dont think it will happen, think again

EL was an affordable tire to race on. Guess who ran them out.....the racers. If you’re buying take offs, you need to be running Saturday night shows while the guy you bought them from runs the big shows.

Agreed at least one person understands my position on this topic

Cobra tire came out in 2017, why now are all of you jumping on board? Where were you 2-3 yrs ago?
The karters will decide which tire will be the predominant tire, as sales control that.
All are good tires, if everyone is on same tire.

I was out of karts 3 years ago, ran from 1994 at 9 yrs old to 2003 18 yrs old. Matters can't decide jack when maxxis is lining the pockets of tracks with promo money. Eventually the karters will have to stop going and only the top few will go. The top few guys cannot keep a track open.

We ran burris , dunlop, Firestone, had 1 set right side hg4 orange maxxis in fact, but we didn't trash em we raced them for years with wash dry and homemade prep maintenance. At that time we were the fastest in our area and with 5 championships in 4 years we did ok I'd say.

I wish some of you could of been here for the days we ran Firestones, mount new tire, after heat race flip tire, after feature trash tire.
Do away with prep and you wont be able to keep up with new tires every time you hit the track, and if you dont think it will happen, think again

Prep isnt what this was about its buying the top guys take off tires so they can afford new at a less expensive price.

Now I think that prep is important I like it. I feel that there's a few people making it relabeled and distributed. There's only so many different ways to make the same product. Fact is they know were addicted to it like crack and can price it however, market and relabeled however.

It has caused a dependency that will be hard to overcome. People over prep all the time. I watched a guy running 2 classes and he couldn't prep for the second race and was the fastest kart no wash dry or prep.

I watched a guy running 2 classes and he couldn't prep for the second race and was the fastest kart no wash dry or prep.

And that's the real problem....even though it's not really needed, everyone thinks it's needed...so it's done, and the time and danger go up....and so on. Monkey see, monkey doo doo.

And that's the real problem....even though it's not really needed, everyone thinks it's needed...so it's done, and the time and danger go up....and so on. Monkey see, monkey doo doo.
I guess we have it a little better on Burris 33 rule only, tire too soft for the track already the majority of the time, Burris doesn't take near the prep work of other brands

I guess we have it a little better on Burris 33 rule only, tire too soft for the track already the majority of the time, Burris doesn't take near the prep work of other brands
All these no prepers should lobby for a Burris 33 only rule, it's as close as they could get to eliminating it.

Do they really take a lot of prep work or have we just over complicated a racing tire ? Monkey see monkey do as stated. If I took a leak on my right rear and won they all would next week.

Racing is a trendy sport , and very superstitious at that.

Hard to beat daddy and grandpa money, Jr is the next Jeff Gordon or Dale Earnhardt.

If I got out of the center 'southern' states it would be a lot better I assume.

Up north it was a different ball of wax. Money didn't buy wins like it does in the south

All these no prepers should lobby for a Burris 33 only rule, it's as close as they could get to eliminating it.

No tire rule that's the biggest issues , open tire everywhere! If open tire no longer will the manufacturer's run the game. Leave it to the karters to pick.

Being forced into a tire is a lousy deal , it then causes the issue this post was originated from. People putting new rubber on weekly and others buying take offs that fund the bigger teams. The smaller teams PAY for the bigger teams to BEAT them.

No tire rule that's the biggest issues , open tire everywhere! If open tire no longer will the manufacturer's run the game. Leave it to the karters to pick.

Being forced into a tire is a lousy deal , it then causes the issue this post was originated from. People putting new rubber on weekly and others buying take offs that fund the bigger teams. The smaller teams PAY for the bigger teams to BEAT them.
You totally missed the point, that rule is what the NO PREPERS should be lobbying for as they require little to NO prep.

I've raced the great tracks of the northeast and I've raced the southeast as well, now I do it all with my son. OPEN tire rules are not what you want, trust me! Think about it, if open and you arrive for a big race you would need at least 2 sets of Vegas, 2 sets of Maxxis, 2 sets of Burris and 2 sets of whatever else is the hot ticket that week just to try and keep up with the fast guys with an unlimited tire budget! Money will ALWAYS win races, there is no other way around that but at least with tire rules, the smaller guy can show up with a chance of getting it right on only ONE brand of tire...

Back