Just a tire rant my opinion

Open tire Or spec tire , NOT brand specific

• Open Tire

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Spec Tire

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Saying buying the bigger teams take offs is funding there tire budget is partially true . It helps their budget it also cuts the small team budget .
Buying there used chassis also cuts their budget . Engines , seats it all gets sold off and moved down the line too smaller teams .
By this line of thinking we should stop buying any used / experienced equipment .
Then the tracks would really suffer , with no racers out there on not new equipment .
The small teams sell there equipment as well . As they improve , the trickle down effect continues to the beginners.
In about 2001 i went too a ikf national at Marshalltown . They did not sell their used tires they threw them in a 4 ft by 10 ft bin . It was overflowing. No one saved anything or recouped any of the budget. It also did not save that track .

friend this past weekend, went out to run practice on Cobra’s after racing was over, in super heavy, with exact same gear they ran on maxxis.
Picked up 5/10....track was really wet. Cobra’s rolled internally with 90cc’s
I watched Lewis come up thru the ranks and I take some credit for he and his son starting into Karting. He is top knotch in the magic realm of tires. We raced against him for years. He has always been a top contender. If he says the Cobras were faster then you can believe they were faster.

Saying buying the bigger teams take offs is funding there tire budget is partially true . It helps their budget it also cuts the small team nudget .
Buying there used chassis also cuts their budget . Engines , seats it all gets sold off and moved down the line too smaller teams .
By this line of thinking we should stop buying any used / experienced equipment .
Then the tracks would really suffer , with no racers out there on not new equipment .
The small teams sell there equipment as well . As they improve , the trickle down effect continues to the beginners.
In about 2001 i went too a ikf national at Marshalltown . They did not sell their used tires they threw them in a 4 ft by 10 ft bin . It was overflowing. No one saved anything or recouped any of the budget. It also did not save that track .

Just focusing tires one topic at a time. I will gladly discuss my opinion or thoughts with anyone in a rational manner on here.

So instead of having a set or 11s,22s,33s, and a hard tire. We have piles of junk maxxis everywhere or now the market flooded with 33s on all the classifieds as well. We had 52 on rims with a 3 kart team dad my sister and myself. Mix bag of all different compounds , but we didn't throw em away after a weekend. We washed dried and prepped got oil back in the tires and kept racing on them for years not a weekend. Why has tires in karting become a throw away sport. I feel because new is faster, so they run on 50% of the new tire budget because others are on the take offs. Again my thing is why do we FUND the bigger/money driven teams to beat us?

If we stopped buying take offs they would either go broke on new, or have to run them longer. Which would turn the table and we wouldn't be funding them to beat us.

@racepromotor I never brought prep up in my original post.

Prep isnt bad, but I do feel we over prep because people see the fast guy doing it. Shoot he can be using straight acrysol with a tinted color and now your adding bite ! Monkey see monkey do.

However we are now relying on prep not on talent or chassis. We used to chose the compound for the track at times 4 different brands at 1 time and won. Prep was a conditioner or a way to fire off the tire. Karting is a niche clicky thing and if something seems popular it goes like wild fire. Now we use 1 tire mainly especially here south east red clay land, and manipulating it for all those different tire conditions that we used to pick a compound. So are we really saving are really not buying as many tires?
Need soft med hard yet, and more or less bite. Can't predict the track so you prepare more tires than needed.

If you run multiple tracks need multiple sets, it's the same just on one brand and pouring prep in and on them.

Please instead of a defensive answer meaning reading to respond , look at it from a objective perspective and not one that has spent the years and money on maxxis and prep and being told what to pour on or in em. If I am just 100% I don't wanna be right.

More and more people are selling out and less getting into it. Every day people are selling out. Majority of people buying it is the people who flip the stuff. It's not new drivers and teams.

We have to realize that the top % of people cannot and will not carry karting. If your on the top % I applaud you. In my hay day I was too. Today we can't get enough laps because of 20+ classes in one night to get track time. Qualify race go home. No time for adjustments.

Ok let's focus on one point at a time and so I can confirm your main beef ( point ) , your main beef is guy's out spending you ? and guy's like yourself should not buy there take offs to help them do so ?, which turns to your main point being If that were not the case, and all tracks were open tire rule, they could not sell there take offs PLUS it would highly increase your odds of going out and finishing ahead of them ?

Just focusing tires one topic at a time. I will gladly discuss my opinion or thoughts with anyone in a rational manner on here.

So instead of having a set or 11s,22s,33s, and a hard tire. We have piles of junk maxxis everywhere or now the market flooded with 33s on all the classifieds as well. We had 52 on rims with a 3 kart team dad my sister and myself. Mix bag of all different compounds , but we didn't throw em away after a weekend. We washed dried and prepped got oil back in the tires and kept racing on them for years not a weekend. Why has tires in karting become a throw away sport. I feel because new is faster, so they run on 50% of the new tire budget because others are on the take offs. Again my thing is why do we FUND the bigger/money driven teams to beat us?

If we stopped buying take offs they would either go broke on new, or have to run them longer. Which would turn the table and we wouldn't be funding them to beat us.

@racepromotor I never brought prep up in my original post.

Prep isnt bad, but I do feel we over prep because people see the fast guy doing it. Shoot he can be using straight acrysol with a tinted color and now your adding bite ! Monkey see monkey do.

However we are now relying on prep not on talent or chassis. We used to chose the compound for the track at times 4 different brands at 1 time and won. Prep was a conditioner or a way to fire off the tire. Karting is a niche clicky thing and if something seems popular it goes like wild fire. Now we use 1 tire mainly especially here south east red clay land, and manipulating it for all those different tire conditions that we used to pick a compound. So are we really saving are really not buying as many tires?
Need soft med hard yet, and more or less bite. Can't predict the track so you prepare more tires than needed.

If you run multiple tracks need multiple sets, it's the same just on one brand and pouring prep in and on them.

Please instead of a defensive answer meaning reading to respond , look at it from a objective perspective and not one that has spent the years and money on maxxis and prep and being told what to pour on or in em. If I am just 100% I don't wanna be right.

More and more people are selling out and less getting into it. Every day people are selling out. Majority of people buying it is the people who flip the stuff. It's not new drivers and teams.

We have to realize that the top % of people cannot and will not carry karting. If your on the top % I applaud you. In my hay day I was too. Today we can't get enough laps because of 20+ classes in one night to get track time. Qualify race go home. No time for adjustments.
I'm trying to respond with something defending your point of view, just can't get there at least yet !!

I tend to agree with avgjoe when it comes to the Maxxis tires if I am buying them for myself. How do I expect to beat them on their old tires? probably not going to happen.
If Ken says they are the ticket for the junior classes you can bet he is correct and that is an affordable way to get your jr. driver on good rubber.
I bought several sets of Maxxis for a big race once, never again. They have a couple of runs on them and look great, but I cant give them away.
On the other hand I have Burris tires that are ancient and still working just fine.

Respectfully disagree re: buying 5 brands to find "the fast one.". You pick your favorite brand, you learn what it likes for what type of track, then you go racing... And the tire companies could offer contingencies TO THE RACERS DIRECTLY...

Respectfully disagree re: buying 5 brands to find "the fast one.". You pick your favorite brand, you learn what it likes for what type of track, then you go racing... And the tire companies could offer contingencies TO THE RACERS DIRECTLY...

I can appreciate where you are coming from. I am coming from a different time in karting. I dont mean to repeat, but we picked the compound for the track. Soft, Medium, Hard ect. Heck we never deviated from the same left sides all year but rare hard glazed conditions. Where most said you have to run the same on 4 corners. We got out of our comfort zone multiple times before, Had the HG4 softened down to a DXB and was a rocket on a 1/8th mile night over. BUT had 11's on the inside. It was home brew prep really looking for duro drop not what today has evolved into.

I just dont agree with taking 1 tire brand and creating something that you can purchase with other brands. Now we get into roll speed and different brands ect.. Oh my that would be a mess.

Karting has changed so much its not what it was about, We got away from the roots of racing. I walk the pits and see what it has become and I have a hard time with it. This is partly to my area that i am in the south.

I tend to agree with avgjoe when it comes to the Maxxis tires if I am buying them for myself. How do I expect to beat them on their old tires? probably not going to happen.
If Ken says they are the ticket for the junior classes you can bet he is correct and that is an affordable way to get your jr. driver on good rubber.
I bought several sets of Maxxis for a big race once, never again. They have a couple of runs on them and look great, but I cant give them away.
On the other hand I have Burris tires that are ancient and still working just fine.

If just one person can appreciate where I am coming from then this is a positive thread. I just think its important to stop and think what we are doing and how we are hurting karting and funding the opponent to beat us. I cant sell my maxxis for $10 a tire, Infact got a handfull for free at one time. I figured like most must be better than what i am running. Truly at that moment they were i had old maxxis that were cupped and junk but i was 3ths off quick time. We see it all the time, good for predator or backyard. I may as well used them as pottery planters !

Now backyard is a whole new thing that is taking off , Most are tire of being out SPENT. Being beat is one thing but when the budget does not exist that's an issue. The backyard RWYB is taking off more and more especially around me. Again I say, The top teams although running 3-5 classes in one night cannot support a track. The tracks will lose and its starting to happen, If they stop and really look its going to get worse.

We cant give them away because the big guys are buying new rubber with our take off money all the time its all comes back in a full circle if we really think on it.

Last edited:
We ran burris for a long time dxa , dxb and dxc .
I understand the tire life thing .
What i do not understand is why all the fuss about big teams selling of their tires .
A tire thats cheap and plentiful , raced all over the usa . With no prep needed would be fantastic .
Any tire company has the ability to give tracks contingency deals . Hand out free tires to promote the product . There by convincing the consumer they have the new best thing . With long lasting tires that the big teams can not sell off to the little guy .
Its a win win the tire company sells long lasting tires .
The little guy is just as fast as the big money team.
The Big team is at a disadvantge due to not selling the one run tires .

I dont know what to say about this anymore. When I first started a cut tire meant you had a cut in the tire. If you had prep it was homemade. Things were fairly simple and straight forward.
Then guys started cutting tires prep became a big business and its never stopped. It will never stop until the karters take the industry in a different direction by lobbying for rule changes at the local tracks.
Im not a fan of Maxxis, but the local tracks mandate them. I would much rather race on Burris 33s. I can go to Ashway and run a 3 year old tire and be very competitive, I just don't believe you'll be able to do that with a maxxis or find one that old in a top money races stock pile.

Me personally I would allow cutting or finishing the tires surface over prepping them any day. But unfortunately prep has become an necessity in this sport and would take a miracle to do away with. Without prep your operations cost would go down but I believe would make for better racing by focusing even more on setup but driver skill.

We ran burris for a long time dxa , dxb and dxc .
I understand the tire life thing .
What i do not understand is why all the fuss about big teams selling of their tires .
A tire thats cheap and plentiful , raced all over the usa . With no prep needed would be fantastic .
Any tire company has the ability to give tracks contingency deals . Hand out free tires to promote the product . There by convincing the consumer they have the new best thing . With long lasting tires that the big teams can not sell off to the little guy .
Its a win win the tire company sells long lasting tires .
The little guy is just as fast as the big money team.
The Big team is at a disadvantge due to not selling the one run tires .

Maxxis has no life we all agree on that, Couple heat cycles and they are tossed/sold second hand. My fuss is that we (generic term ) buy their old tires that are no good to them to help them buy new so then can be faster than us in the same class. In the end reducing their tire budget by say 50%, We fund their racing to beat us.

That's why I feel if we just let go open tire rule the drivers would run what they feel is best. If I like vega and they last all season, I have no use for take off maxxis. I will not be funding the bigger teams tire budget anymore. SO now they can keep reusing the old, a increase of 50% in tire bill for the year, or switch to a tire that lasts longer to reduce their tire bill.

Want cheap maxxis? Go to thanksgiving thunder and walk the pits after that weekend. Cant sell em no one wants em but you will have ample opportunity to get some tires.

I dont know what to say about this anymore. When I first started a cut tire meant you had a cut in the tire. If you had prep it was homemade. Things were fairly simple and straight forward.
Then guys started cutting tires prep became a big business and its never stopped. It will never stop until the karters take the industry in a different direction by lobbying for rule changes at the local tracks.
Im not a fan of Maxxis, but the local tracks mandate them. I would much rather race on Burris 33s. I can go to Ashway and run a 3 year old tire and be very competitive, I just don't believe you'll be able to do that with a maxxis or find one that old in a top money races stock pile.

Me personally I would allow cutting or finishing the tires surface over prepping them any day. But unfortunately prep has become an necessity in this sport and would take a miracle to do away with. Without prep your operations cost would go down but I believe would make for better racing by focusing even more on setup but driver skill.

Seems we are not far apart ! I remember those days too, We ran Niagara Falls indoor race tore a set of burris 22s new all the pieces. We had em cut there and ended up being the fastest tire we had. We did some home brew outside prep and maintenance like you suggested. They smoothed out in time and we maintained a fast tire for years. Even offered to put em on a friends kart he wouldn't do it. He said i can never replace them if something happened to them he felt.

Prep isn't awful but we rely on it like a crutch because we are conditioned to believe that we must have to it be fast and my brand is better than his brand. The racing community has to act rebellious against it, If you don't like where your local track is going get a few buddies and sit out and watch the others follow. It will take will power to say no i am not going I will not support the monopoly. Whats the absolute worse thing? The track closes and you sell your stuff to someone else. The best thing is they open their ears and listen 2x as much and we speak and hear that there real concerns out there and karting will suffer at this rate.

I love buying the top guys Maxxis' for my sons Jr2 kart. We can run with the top guys on them all day, any day at a fraction of the cost!

Seems we are not far apart ! I remember those days too, We ran Niagara Falls indoor race tore a set of burris 22s new all the pieces. We had em cut there and ended up being the fastest tire we had. We did some home brew outside prep and maintenance like you suggested. They smoothed out in time and we maintained a fast tire for years. Even offered to put em on a friends kart he wouldn't do it. He said i can never replace them if something happened to them he felt.

Prep isn't awful but we rely on it like a crutch because we are conditioned to believe that we must have to it be fast and my brand is better than his brand. The racing community has to act rebellious against it, If you don't like where your local track is going get a few buddies and sit out and watch the others follow. It will take will power to say no i am not going I will not support the monopoly. Whats the absolute worse thing? The track closes and you sell your stuff to someone else. The best thing is they open their ears and listen 2x as much and we speak and hear that there real concerns out there and karting will suffer at this rate.
Gotta give you some credit on the title of your post, should add an s to opinion though, as it's a rant for sure, your all over the place in one breath your opposing something, and in the next your lobbying to do the same thing just in a different manner, The only thing clear to me is you for sure don't like maxxis.

Gotta give you some credit on the title of your post, should add an s to opinion though, as it's a rant for sure, your all over the place in one breath your opposing something, and in the next your lobbying to do the same thing just in a different manner, The only thing clear to me is you for sure don't like maxxis.

How am I against one but then for it in a different manner? Please help me understand, I am surely not happy with where karting is going.

@racepromotor , I dont mind maxxis i am sick of being locked down to one brand. Then having that one brand have no longevity in the tire, And buying take off's to support our opponent and make them faster than us. If the tire had some longevity in it or open tire rule it would be our choice at least to do so.

How am I against one but then for it in a different manner? Please help me understand, I am surely not happy with where karting is going.
In one breath lobbying for an open tire rule always, but in the next implying a tire rule would be OK with a cheaper tire that would last longer.
In one breath lobbying against maxxis having a monopoly, in the next implying it would be OK if not maxxis.
Just to name a few.

@racepromotor , I dont mind maxxis i am sick of being locked down to one brand. Then having that one brand have no longevity in the tire, And buying take off's to support our opponent and make them faster than us. If the tire had some longevity in it or open tire rule it would be our choice at least to do so.
Read your last part of post #1 Don't like Maxxis, I don't like Maxxis either BUT can't blame everything on them, you want a choice you can control, Don't race maxxis tracks, Don't buy take offs.

Back