Just a tire rant my opinion

Open tire Or spec tire , NOT brand specific

• Open Tire

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Spec Tire

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I agree , stock appearing and clone. AND a tec man.
That's a nice way to price a new guy out of the market. I'm starting my karting career this year, and if it wasn't for the predator class there would be no way on earth I could afford it. I work full time and go to college so money is tight for me. The predator class made it to where I could work a little overtime and be ready for the season in march.

I'm have and will continue to buy used tires from guys I trust because 1. I know nothing about how to prep a new tire for the track. Cutting, grinding, rolling, wiping, I have no idea where to start. And number 2. I wont be fast enough for a slightly used tire vs a new tire to make a difference. I'm planning to order two sets of Cobras in June to try my hand at new tire work. But I'm going to tire school for the first half of the year.

Last edited:
That's a nice way to price a new guy out of the market. I'm starting my karting career this year, and if it wasn't for the predator class there would be no way on earth I could afford it. I work full time and go to college so money is tight for me. The predator class made it to where I could work a little overtime and be ready for the season in march.

I'm have and will continue to buy used tires from guys I trust because 1. I know nothing about how to prep a new tire for the track. Cutting, grinding, rolling, wiping, I have no idea where to start. And number 2. I wont be fast enough for a slightly used tire vs a new tire to make a difference. I'm planning to order two sets of Cobras in June to try my hand at new tire work. But I'm going to tire school for the first half of the year.

Racing isn't cheap never has been, any one wanna chime in on flat head prices? Or a built flat head like a 2500k super stock.....

Wish you the best. Be aware of drinking the koolaid. They will make you believe it's mad scientist type stuff today over complicated and make you feel the need to use tire companies to cut grind prep roll inside outside ect.

Cheap it is not, and fun is going away too.

Racing isn't cheap never has been, any one wanna chime in on flat head prices? Or a built flat head like a 2500k super stock.....

Wish you the best. Be aware of drinking the koolaid. They will make you believe it's mad scientist type stuff today over complicated and make you feel the need to use tire companies to cut grind prep roll inside outside ect.

I know racing isn't cheap, that's not why I'm doing it. I'm doing it because I love racing. If you dont like what you're doing with your racing, then change it or sell it.

My koolaid is that tires and the right prep is vital to having a chance. How crazy you get with it is up to you. I know many people who race 6 karts a night, have a ton of fun, and never complain about the costs. I also know people who run 1 class and whine about EVERYTHING.

If you're that upset at tires and that the fast guy was fast, then find a way to beat him. Work on your setup or your driving ability.

I helped a buddy in the pits last year, and he would literally give his prepped tires to competitors to use, and he still blew them away. Tires arent everything, just most.

The fun never goes away, hard work and knowledge are rewarded

I know racing isn't cheap, that's not why I'm doing it. I'm doing it because I love racing. If you dont like what you're doing with your racing, then change it or sell it.

My koolaid is that tires and the right prep is vital to having a chance. How crazy you get with it is up to you. I know many people who race 6 karts a night, have a ton of fun, and never complain about the costs. I also know people who run 1 class and whine about EVERYTHING.

If you're that upset at tires and that the fast guy was fast, then find a way to beat him. Work on your setup or your driving ability.

I helped a buddy in the pits last year, and he would literally give his prepped tires to competitors to use, and he still blew them away. Tires arent everything, just most.

I've offered my winning tires to others as well.

How about the team that has three year old tires . Been prepped with everything they could buy or mix up .
Would there be any improvment in the program after purchasing a set of 20 lap tires and wheels ?

How about the team that has three year old tires . Been prepped with everything they could buy or mix up .
Would there be any improvment in the program after purchasing a set of 20 lap tires and wheels ?

I keep hearing tires tires tires . anyone who says you mount his tires up won't do what he does is right.

I see people leaning to much on prep work on driving and chassis. Now anyone who is invested in a company for prep or does tires for others as a company will tell you I am wrong I disagree. Tires are important but good driving and set up is importanter

I keep hearing tires tires tires . anyone who says you mount his tires up won't do what he does is right.

I see people leaning to much on prep work on driving and chassis. Now anyone who is invested in a company for prep or does tires for others as a company will tell you I am wrong I disagree. Tires are important but good driving and set up is importanter

You started the thread about tires, so of course that's all youre hearing.

The fact is, no matter the tire, the fast guy is still going to wipe the floor with your butt if you don't know how to beat him. Every sport changes rules to "slow down" the fast guys. Guess what, the fast guys still win every week. The driver wins the race. The right setup and tires just makes it easier on him.

Make NO mistake If the best drivers on a good set ups go out on the wrong tires he's not going to Win, Ever seen at a big event when 1 of the premier drivers goes out in a warm up class before the big money and there junk and pull off, that's because there proving the tire needed, look at the big money races they can ALL drive only 1 will win and when there superior to the field It's TIRES that made the difference.
You guy's are correct in one sense, the creams always going to come to the top !! And in another as the best drivers are also good tire guys.

You started the thread about tires, so of course that's all youre hearing.

The fact is, no matter the tire, the fast guy is still going to wipe the floor with your butt if you don't know how to beat him. Every sport changes rules to "slow down" the fast guys. Guess what, the fast guys still win every week. The driver wins the race. The right setup and tires just makes it easier on him.

I maybe should have reword that because apparently it didn't work. What I mean by it is all the time everyday all you hear is Tires Tires Tires it's all about the tires got to have the right tires got to have the right Prep Prep Prep Prep but tired of hearing about it. When we are on the top back in the day Tires Tires Tires and Prep Prep Prep wasn't what was winning good chassis setups good decisions and a good driver was really making the biggest difference what I'm trying to say in the last post is it everyone over preps over spends time in tires worried about round cut straight cut sanding grits finishes and I think it's a bunch a bunch of hokey BS.

The post was originally made and I'll repeat myself again about buying take off tires which lessens the 'top guy we put on a pedestal' so he can beat you with your money.

I really was looking forward to being on here, never cussed or got ugly with anyone. Tried to be able to explain something without the bashing of forums. I've about lost my interest. Done repeating myself.

Make NO mistake If the best drivers on a good set ups go out on the wrong tires he's not going to Win, Ever seen at a big event when 1 of the premier drivers goes out in a warm up class before the big money and there junk and pull off, that's because there proving the tire needed, look at the big money races they can ALL drive only 1 will win and when there superior to the field It's TIRES that made the difference.
You guy's are correct in one sense, the creams always going to come to the top !! And in another as the best drivers are also good tire guys.

Back in the day, chassis' were different, tires were different. Chassis are more tire sensitive than back in the day. If it's not Tires Tires Tires, then who cares if top guy sells his take offs and buys new? Tires aren't what it's all about right? If not, run like you did back in the day, guys with new tires shouldn't have an advantage on you.

I maybe should have reword that because apparently it didn't work. What I mean by it is all the time everyday all you hear is Tires Tires Tires it's all about the tires got to have the right tires got to have the right Prep Prep Prep Prep but tired of hearing about it. When we are on the top back in the day Tires Tires Tires and Prep Prep Prep wasn't what was winning good chassis setups good decisions and a good driver was really making the biggest difference what I'm trying to say in the last post is it everyone over preps over spends time in tires worried about round cut straight cut sanding grits finishes and I think it's a bunch a bunch of hokey BS.

The post was originally made and I'll repeat myself again about buying take off tires which lessens the 'top guy we put on a pedestal' so he can beat you with your money.

I really was looking forward to being on here, never cussed or got ugly with anyone. Tried to be able to explain something without the bashing of forums. I've about lost my interest. Done repeating myself.
I've not seen where anyone cussed you

Your correct you haven't cussed or got ugly with anyone, what you fail to realize is no one has done the same to you, and back in the day is long gone.

Joe. Not one person really attacked you so get over it.

Sounds like you bought some take-offs and it didn't help your program or close the gap to the front runners.

But you are hinting around telling others what to buy used and complaining about what is being sold all in the same rant.

I think you made yourself very clear but you are getting upset for no reason....you put on a post that you knew would be controversial and it is ..why because everyone has an opinion...please tell me what division of racing isn't about tires ? World of outlaw late models guys up front put on new tires every time they hit the track ....nascar new tires can gain them over a second per lap ...hell all the way down to rc cars mess around to get the right tire ... so it's always been about the tires ...no matter what motor what driver what set up there is still only four points that touch the race track....most guys buy used tires because that's what they can afford... dont get upset because people dont agree with you ...everyone definitely knows where you stand on the subject

Um.....we have been kart racing since the late 90's, and prep and tire work was very much a part of the race routine, your time on top before the late 90's? sounds if you want rewarded for being lazy.
And again, we set a tire budget at the beginning of the season, every season we buy 4 new sets on wheels and 2 extra RS, and I dont care what happens to those tires after the season, my budget doesnt include selling old tires, but if we do its a bonus and it sure doesnt stop us from buying more.
And yes I have taken tires that just won a race, got permission from the tech guy to remove the tires, put them on another kart and go win another race, common denominator? both chassis were identical

I was introduced to the prepped tire game back in 2003, I'd been racing Karts since 1993 and never once prepped a tire other than simple green to clean them. I was on the same chassis (Bandit) as the guy that kicked my butt every Saturday night. I finally went up and asked him what was I missing! Luckily he ended up being a very nice guy and a good friend. He let me take that set of tires and bolt them on my kart and go out in the next class, guess what? I won that race! I had the exact same compound on my kart, same chassis and all but my tires were not prepped with anything. Since that day, due to being a budget racer, I've bought top level guys prepped and cut tires and won many races with myself driving and now my 10 year old son.

I've seen it many times series racing , tires hopping right off one chassis straight on the next one .
Ikf nationals kt 100 engines were being passed around between teams like candy .

Here's what i was trying to explain. Go spend $30 more ride on your stuff. Know the prep in it. Sized the way you want.

He can run on your money have fresh all year doing this for $30 a set of 3.

Palmetto speed shop check em out. Gotta ship from online guys or a kart shop support your kart shop not your competitors
20210103_230434.jpg

Back