Just bought a #69730 212 Predator at HF and its a Hemi. What?!

DaveLT

Got excited about getting my first 212 Predator. Researched that I wanted to get the non-Hemi(69730). Drove 30 miles to HF to make sure I got the right model number. Saw both 60363 and 69730 at the store. Purchased a 212 Predator box that said 69730 on the outside.

The engine looks like a "hemi". A sticker on the flywheel cover say "69730" and the owners manual Rev 20g says 69730.
But every part on the engine and the parts diagram in the manual looks hemi.
This engine has a DOM sticker of 2020 December, so it is one of the most recent from the factory.

How will this effect 'stock class' kart racing?
Is this a known issue?
If you need pictures let me know.

A lot of places are non hemi? How’s your rule setup? Either will work they both run neck and neck at my local track in box stock form.

Got excited about getting my first 212 Predator. Researched that I wanted to get the non-Hemi(69730). Drove 30 miles to HF to make sure I got the right model number. Saw both 60363 and 69730 at the store. Purchased a 212 Predator box that said 69730 on the outside.

The engine looks like a "hemi". A sticker on the flywheel cover say "69730" and the owners manual Rev 20g says 69730.
But every part on the engine and the parts diagram in the manual looks hemi.
This engine has a DOM sticker of 2020 December, so it is one of the most recent from the factory.

How will this effect 'stock class' kart racing?
Is this a known issue?
If you need pictures let me know.
Predator Hemi engine head has a cast Alum. valve cover
Predator Non-Hemi head has a steel valve cover, similar to a Clone valve cover
I have "heard" of the wrong engine in boxes, I have never seen it personally though......

Last edited:
125E7008-3C5D-48BA-80BC-F51FBBF7E044.jpeg

Hemi rocker cover on rear kart, non hemi or clone on front kart.

Here are pics of the DOM sticker, valve cover, and manual that came with engine.
At first I thought just a boxing swap, but the manual shows a hemi engine and says 69730.
I have opened the valve cover and it has hemi rockers.
The parts diagram in the manual shows a hemi parts and calls the engine a 69730.
I will email the harborfreight.com engine support and see if I get any useful info.
69730 Hemi DOM Dec 2020.jpg
69730 Hemi valve cvr on box.jpg
69730 Hemi manual Rev20g.jpg

A lot of tracks run the hemi only and they can be hard to find, I would think someone would be happy to take it off your hands. I'm pretty sure you can see the valve cover from one of the lifting holes in the box if you want to try again.

If Predator starts making all 69730s as Hemi, then I should stick with this engine. I was ready to order an aftermarket flywheel, but I will pull this engine apart and verify it takes the hemi internal parts. I will post to this thread if I hear back from Harbor Freight on this manufacturing change.

Mixtures of parts are not uncommon. Its possible its a non hemi block and cam with a hemi head and pushrods. I recently took a non hemi engine off a Coleman minibike I was going to use for a pit bike. Blindly ordered a non hemi cam for it and guess what? The block used the clone/hemi cam. Its a 99 dollar rototiller motor whose sole purpose is to run your rototiller at 3650 rpm until the warranty expires.

Here are pics of the DOM sticker, valve cover, and manual that came with engine.
At first I thought just a boxing swap, but the manual shows a hemi engine and says 69730.
I have opened the valve cover and it has hemi rockers.
The parts diagram in the manual shows a hemi parts and calls the engine a 69730.
I will email the harborfreight.com engine support and see if I get any useful info.View attachment 14905View attachment 14908View attachment 14909
Where are you located? I can't get hemi's around me, and might could take that one off your hands.

That was at the Tacoma, WA Harbor Freight, there were at least 6 other boxes both numbers 60363 and 69730 (3 of each)
I will just keep this one, random chance seems to favor finding a hemi at the store.

did some winning on them...they don’t recover very well. If you have to prep a bunch one weekend they fall off pretty good the next.

I just picked up one of these weird 69730 hemis myself and started a thread too cuz it was weird. I’ll be taring mine down to see what the crank taper, piston, and cam look like. I just hope I can find a old 69730 if it’s all hemi in the bottom end because I have a box full of expensive non hemi hop up parts.

Well mine was just a 60636 hemi no idea why it’s been labeled 69730. I was hoping for some kind of hybrid but no dice. Time to hunt for a non hemi.

It's the worlds cheapest 6.5 HP engine. As far as Harbor Freight is concerned you bought a 6.5 HP rototiller or
water pump engine, as advertised. You ever wonder why they don't give particular engine details in their ads? If you call a store asking for say a 69730, and they tell you they have 10 of them, you show up and they are all hemis, it doesnt matter to them. All their computer knows is they have 10 6.5 HP motors.
All they know is you want a 6.5 HP motor, which they all are. Cmon man, you are trying to go racing for 99 bucks, what do you expect?

It's the worlds cheapest 6.5 HP engine. As far as Harbor Freight is concerned you bought a 6.5 HP rototiller or
water pump engine, as advertised. You ever wonder why they don't give particular engine details in their ads? If you call a store asking for say a 69730, and they tell you they have 10 of them, you show up and they are all hemis, it doesnt matter to them. All their computer knows is they have 10 6.5 HP motors.
All they know is you want a 6.5 HP motor, which they all are. Cmon man, you are trying to go racing for 99 bucks, what do you expect?
Not trying to race it’s a motor for a putt around and trail riding mini bike. I’ve bought many of these engines over the years and they have come in many flavors.

The one thing that has been consistent is the difference between the hemi and non hemi. I’ve never seen the non hemi part number with a hemi in the box so I was curious to see if this was some new hybrid. Maybe a hemi head with non hemi block idk. My post was mainly informational so no one else bought a hemi 69730 hoping it was some new hybrid.

The only disappointment expressed is that I have non hemi parts so I need a non hemi block. At the time I could not find any actual 69730 non hemi motors. I eventually tracked one down and built it up. So we’re all good here. Happy carting.

Saw the same thing today all hemis all 69730#s .
Funny thing the power equipment had non hemi engines , the one was dated 2019

I thought was non hemi head on hemi motor. Some think the non hemi head flows better? N on non hemi don't have chanted valve's that can run into piston with high lift. .009 head gasket? It is a tiller engine. Needs oil changed after...30 min break in n again after 3 more hrs break in on stand to admire the little engine that could... N DOES...displacing the venerable briggs 5 hp that was the standard for ever...til they sent the 6.5 to the 🌎

Back