Just bought a #69730 212 Predator at HF and its a Hemi. What?!

Good luck with Harbor Fright's tech support or trying to specify Hemi/Non Hemi during an online order. I ordered a 69730 non hemi online and specified I only wanted that part number in the comments section of the order. Shipping confirmation e-mail showed they were shipping a 60363 hemi engine. I tried several communications with them, all with the response that the engines and parts were interchangeable, and that the parts numbers reflected different supply vendors making the same engines. When I e-mailed them pics of both style mufflers, air boxes, rocker covers, heads, rocker arms, etc - they didn't reply. Several more e-mails went unanswered. Engine came in as a Hemi 60363, which I traded a buddy for a NIB 69730.

Is the 69730 a new design or just a part # change. I see the engines are 150.00 not 99.95 anymore at Harbor Freight. also, is there any torque difference between the 60363 or 69730?

Last edited:
Went to out local Harbor Freight, was looking for the 69363 part #. Was told the 69730 is the new part # for the hemi. Saw a hemi on
display, so i said that is the new part number 69730. "yes it is". Got home homed the box a there it is... A NON-Hemi!!-so i'll go back and speak to someone above the guy "helped" me. And get the display model that is a hemi. And will ask for a discount for out of the box & display unit.

I don't think Harbor Fright has any idea as to what the difference is or what they are putting in the boxes. When I tried to order a 69730 online, they said the engines were identical - that the part numbers were different because they came from different factories. Of course I received the 69363. After several e-mails they still wouldn't even acknowledge there are 2 different designs.

I once asked for a predator 212 hemi and the guy at harbor freight said is that the Diesel engine we make? First off no it’s not a diesel snd second off I am pretty sure harbor freight doesn’t sell any diesel motors. I thought it was kinda funny when he said that.

In my conversation with a big supply yesterday he informed me the non hemi is being phased out. That’s why you are getting a hemi in a non hemi box. Unless you purchase the California version

I bought a 69730 motor last week and it has cast aluminum valve cover. have not opened the valve cover to 100% confirm but i'm assuming its a hemi. SKU on recoil decal says 69730. You can tell through the lift holes in the box at the store which valve cover it has, been reading about mislabels and hemi's in non-hemi boxes lately so I peaked through and could see and touch the cast aluminum valve cover before I purchased.

The hemi number WAS 60363…now the number is 69730 for all of them…you have to look at the valve cover in the picture on the box to get the right one

Predator Hemi engine head has a cast Alum. valve cover
Predator Non-Hemi head has a steel valve cover, similar to a Clone valve cover
I have "heard" of the wrong engine in boxes, I have never seen it personally though......
I know I'm late to the conversation but I have two hemis and was trying to find a crank so I decided to go the non-hemi route when I got home and unboxed my engine I found the same thing a hemi in a non-hemi box

Attachments

• IMG_20220521_140145045.jpg
    IMG_20220521_140145045.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20220521_140137655.jpg
    IMG_20220521_140137655.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20220521_135907731.jpg
    IMG_20220521_135907731.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 54
For future reference to this subject..........
ALWAYS look at the picture on the box. The picture that is on the box will ALWAYS be the engine that's in the box, no matter the part number that's on the box.

I know I'm late to the conversation but I have two hemis and was trying to find a crank so I decided to go the non-hemi route when I got home and unboxed my engine I found the same thing a hemi in a non-hemi box
Yep....you need to "physically look" at the engine in the box, to see what you are getting....assuming you know the Predator differences!

If you need a Non Hemi Crank just PM me. I have a bunch of non hemi parts if you need anything. Just PM me and I will tell you how much I want for the crank.

Back