just cranked first clone, failed!

ron07

Has anyone had a bad valve keeper. I dropped an intake valve at low rpm, after a good look the keeper was stamped wrong. can u run Honda keepers per akra stock rules. makes me miss the old flat heads!

Can you post a picture of the keeper. It might help us all!
Has anyone had a bad valve keeper. I dropped an intake valve at low rpm, after a good look the keeper was stamped wrong. can u run Honda keepers per akra stock rules. makes me miss the old flat heads!

Ill try to post a pic, in the next few days. im not the most computer intelligent. the pocket for the valve tail to set in is way to large. should there be a difference in the keeper for intake and exhaust?

The exhaust has a different retainer, and uses a lash cap. If you don't have the lash cap on that retainer it will come loose real easy.

maybe that is the problem, id love to see a picture of this, my engine from dyno was missing lifters and a valve. im not sure how i can BUILD AN ENGINE WITH OUT LIFTERS. I CANT WAIT FOR U TO SEE THE RETAINERS.

This happens more and more these days..The exhaust lash cap locks the valve stem in much better . They need to change the rules to allow lash cap retainers on all intake valves too. When I build GX160s for our club we always do this with stock valves . No one has dropped a valve in years here...

How can builders make any money like that Sneaks? You better stop this sensible type talk - you may damage your reputation ;)

Dan

This happens more and more these days..The exhaust lash cap locks the valve stem in much better . They need to change the rules to allow lash cap retainers on all intake valves too.
.....and, it won't 'improve' performance either as it actually 'saves' Racers $$$! (That's the problem!!)

Your right Dan . lol , And I'm gonna put my reputation on the line again for scream 2 " No one has EVER won a race cause he had a lash cap on his intake valve, but many have LOST cause they didn't ". "U can take that to the bank"...

Because our track rules are pretty loose, I run exhaust retainers and lash caps on both sides of anything I put together. It's more valve train weight and probably a touch of a disadvantage if you're stuck with 10.8's, but the added reliability is worth it.
I have to agree that many of the rules seem to be created around the revolving door of a throwaway engines and the associated repeat sales, instead of reliability.
ASN and Seattle's karting club all run these on their GX200's with 18# springs, have been for years.

Thank you guys very much. The fact ended up being that my engine did not come with some of the parts. lifters, push rods, and the exhaust valve cap. and all the goodies that should be in the plastic bag. I was not familiar with these engines and got the valve retainers switched with out the valve cap. Now that i see how this works im surprised it ran as long as it did before it failed. New engine came with all the proper parts.

Back