Just for Fun, While the topic is " HOT " let's debate prep.

Late on this feedback train. Can't help but throw my two cents in for yet another point of view. My gut reaction was going to say No, prep ruins it all but.....

Raced mostly sprint, back in the prepping and now non prepping days. I remember Rockingham smelling minty fresh the whole weekend! Either way, we always bring 2 new sets, one for each race day, sometimes a new set for practice on Friday as well. That was 3 sets of tires for each of the theoretical 5 races. Most events, you bolted on new tires. We just had to decide if we wanted to get a heat cycle on them in morning practice or qualify on stickers. Lucky today, Vega/TS Racing sells our Reds for $184 a set (TANK YOU TS!!). For the Firestone and bridgestones, we were $220 a set or more if I remember correctly.

Switched to dirt, ran burris local saturday shows, then ran a state tour. We had 3 full sets of tires, I ran them for 3 years using only external wipes and being conservative. I could qualify top 5 but rarely finished there as we were learning to read the track. Added two more sets with a conditioner on the inside to test and learn. 5 sets of tires total. I could compete on a Saturday night and still have fun at a bigger tour. We used the insanity line, started off with nothing but HT Outside and Yellow crush, later adding the aggressive outside and some creo for those cold wet spring and fall nights. Still have those same 5 sets on the shelf curing up for 2020 after not getting out in 2019.

3 years of asphalt racing ended up costing a lot more than 3 years of dirt. For me, looks like prepping saved money as you can adapt the tires to the changing conditions. Without prep, the only way to get premium grip is to buy a new full set and show up with fresh rubber to the grid.

Now, we were running WKA Gold Cup during the 500 entry super competitive days right up through the fall off. So we were spending to win. On Dirt, we aren't showing up trying to win Thanksgiving Thunder or big money shows hoping to win. We knew we were still learning and out having fun at something new.

Also, I acknowledge asphalt wears your tires out much more than dirt. Not sure prep would help. Overall, for my situation, I think prep saved us money.

Back