Just Getting Started...

You may find your answers on the go to thread ,or at least some of them .
Your racing type will determine your pit help needs . Top Teir stuff you will need help .
The go to thread is in the general section , info there for everyone .

Last edited:
You're getting a lot of good advice here.

You seem to think that oval racing might be boring..it is not. It will require you to learn a lot about tire prep, chassis tuning, stagger, etc, etc. I don't race on ovals, but I certainly appreciate what they do, and the knowledge and skill it requires. Anything but boring!!

You seem interested in what is known as sprint racing. Classic gokart tracks, paved, multi turn, with varying lengths of straights. Again, chassis set up, less tire knowledge required (to a Point!), more physical, especially in the faster classes.

And then there's road racing, or what is also known as enduro racing. Karts racing of sports car tracks (that's what we do). Speeds are much higher, obviously. Slowest classes like the CIK LO206 classes will run right at 68 to 70 MPH. The other end of the spectrum is the 250 Superkarts. Where at a place like Daytona will be running in the 140 plus range. Of course this type of kart racing requires a lot of travel, all events are 2 to 3 days long, and it tends to be pretty hard on engines. Race length is 30 or 45 minutes depending on class, and there will be multiple classes on the track at the same time. Imagine SCCA sports car racing, only karts.

The first thing YOU need to do, is figure out what type of racing you want to do, AND what you can afford! So, find a sprint track, or oval, or road course and GO there!! Get a pit pass and go talk to people. See what's appealing, and affordable.

Local sprint racing in a Briggs 206 class will be the cheapest and easiest to get into. New, figure $4500, plus spares, good used 2000. Depending of entry fees, figure $75 to $100 plus per race including entry fees, parts, rebuilds, etc, etc. If you want to go fast, eg: Tag or shifter, $7500 new Tag, $10,000ish shifter. They eat tires and engine rebuilds are $900 plus per season. They eat parts. They are an absolute hoot to drive, but you PAY for it!

They oval folks here can fill you in of that info.

Road racing I suspect may be the most costly, and in many ways the most dangerous due to the high speeds. Drivers do show a degree more respect for each other due to the speeds, but they are by no means gentle! 2 or 3 days in a motel, $100+ entry fees PER class, and we usually run at least two in a weekend. (Track rentals are VERY expensive, so the entry fees pay for that). The slow classes Eg: CIK LO206 cost for equipment and upkeep will be similar to sprint racing, except entry fees of courses. The other end, shifters and Superkarts, will use up a set of tires each day, depending of the track. But at LEAST one set per event. Etc, etc, etc.

If you think you're going to get into any type of kart racing and be fast right out of the box and show everybody your skill, you have a very harsh reality coming! They are NO joke! There are reasons why F1 and Indycar drivers run Shifter karts in the off season to stay sharp and in shape!

This was a little long, I hope you can use at least a little of the info your learning here to help you get started. These folks know their stuff.
Sory, me don't did ay spel chk ro gammer....
Good luck, have fun getting started, and stay safe to all.
Clark Gaynor Sr.

Back