Just got a kart and have an engine question. Possible predator swap.

djj624

Hi guys I just aquired a manco American Express with a flathead 5hp Briggs from 1989(according to the code). At first it wouldn't run, the carb and fuel tank were so gummed up it was ridiculous. Finally after allot of cleaning and a new carb I got it going and it actually went 29mph (I'm thinking that's decent for an engine from 89 with unknown hrs) My question is if I switch to a predator 212 is there much of a difference in torque and top end? Don't one much about either engine and don't want to purchase something that's not going to make a huge difference.

For $99 I'd suggest it for overall purpose. There are tons of upgrades for it that you can do without getting into serious work. Simple bolt-ons.
But honestly...the flathead has a WAYYYYYYY more Cool Factor ;)

The 212cc predator is rated at 6.5 horsepower versus the 5.0hp of the flathead. Some peeps like the sound of the flathead. For $99 it's worth a try. Get the Predator 420cc engine for a real kick!

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm guessing the manco isn't that stable for high speed then?
A quick google search on the history of Manco will take you into a world of information. Much of it though will be warnings about children dying while being on or around them. Knowledge is power, not trying to scare you, just want to make sure you know what your driving. :)

Why spend 99 dollars plus tax . Dissassemble it , then hope everything fits back right . Something is bound to not fit or go wrong . So add in another 20 bucks . Sure it might go a little faster - a huge difference is arguable .
Myself ive taken apart more stuff then you can imagine . Some of it got put back together , some is still apart . Some long gone to the junkman .
My new philosophy is if its broke leave it alone till absolutely going too fix .
What i thought was wrong usually was .
Edict number 2 if it don't run , i don't want it .
Edict number 3 if it ain't broke don't fix it .

Last edited:
To everyone's point I actually agree with a lot and so somewhat take back what I said to an extent.
You're using it as an offroad "buggy". I'm assuming it has a torque converter? If so, no matter how much power you have, all the motors will go the same speed when it's all said and done.
Use the flathead like flattop said instead of wasting the money.....but once it breaks beyond repair, then take the plunge of the newer motor.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm guessing the manco isn't that stable for high speed then?
The thing is long hair ect can get caught in the gearing and snap a neck. I believe Manco had a fix for this but don't know what it was. If you go retro fitting a different engine it could be dangerous. Also, if you put 10-12Hp on a yard kart it's going to break components.

I think I'm going to stay with the flathead I like the old cool stuff and it seems to run good. As far as the scalping goes good thing all my boys have short hair and I have none left. Haha

Back