just how hard???

subbietjw

any one really pushed a stock rod??? not as in rpm but as in strength... im doing a fun build "old stile" 212 predator... I know the stock rod will hold up to a stock 14cc head... (roughly 10 to 1 ish) at lower rpm under 5,800... but any one know if they would take say 11 to 1 at around 6,000???

if its a slow build up of rpms you will prob be ok... now if its a high torque bull ring with lots of off and hard on the gas....you will be pressing your luck

no sprint course... 15-53 gears... I should just try it!!! I know it'll take a stock 14cc head... I don't see why it wouldn't take a 22cc head milled .090

so true!!! the grate thing a bought a $100 motor... if you walk a way safe with a box of broken parts you still only lost $100 motor... its not so easy to do that with some motors...

On asphalt sprint I have had my share of broken ckone rods, even the billet ones. I have actually broken mire billet at 6700 rpms than stock at 6300 that I onky broke once on an open practice at Mooresville.

I've never broken a billet rod, I have twisted some eagle h-beams in a small block chevy with about 300 shot though!

so far the only lost motor ive had a had was a pretty built 196... but I didn't blow that one.. the valve keeper popped off, dropped the valve into the piston, and kicked the piston skirt into the cyl wall... scared it up too bad and wouldn't build good comp after that...

I've turned a bsp with a Honda crank and ut1 piston with 80 thou off the head and an arc rod 9500 snd lived to finish the night

There is no way utilizing a stock rod, in a racing environment can consistantly work to your benefit.
The material is an absolute minimum of what the factory thinks is needed to keep from breaking rods
under the 3600 rpm that most industrial engines run at.

The OEM's do not put 10 cents worth of extra material in their rods or anywhere else in the engines.
Breaking a rod is by far the most common destroyer of engines.

Back