Just returning to karting after several years off-have a few basic questions

Zach Jaynes

Just as the title states, I've been away from karts for the most part for 7-8 years and there have obviously been some changes, so I have a few questions about basic stuff (mostly in regard to clones, as I always ran flatheads) that may seem like dumb questions so bear with me. Here it goes:

1. From what I've seen, most people leave the pull starter attached to the motor on the clones,whereas we always just held them on for starting the flatheads. Why is this?
2. How do you regulate temp on the clones and what is the desired temp to provide good power while not being too hard on the motor?
3. Roughly how much power is a clone (Predator 212) producing that is stock other than having the governor removed, racing air filter, header pipe?
4. How much and what type of oil do you guys recommend in the clones?
5. Where is a good place online to order a variety of parts/accessories (gears,seats,oil,filters,bodies,tires,etc.....? I am a huge proponent of supporting local business as I am a local business owner, but I just have nowhere remotely close to buy kart accessories, so I'm stuck ordering :(

One last thing. Karting in general in my area seems to be really taking off and nearly every track is running clones in basically all classes. I love the economical aspect of it and I'm just curious have clones gained that much popularity everywhere or is it just a regional thing? Will they eventually all but take over? Thanks in advance for any info that you guys have.

Zach

1- most leave them attatched because there really isnt a need to use a electric starter on a stock motor when the pull start works just fine. You wont need the electric start for a clone until you get into open motors, even then you may not really need electric start.

2- iv seen people use carb jetting and timing to help regulate the temp, as well as how much tape is on the starter recoil. i just keep my temp where i want it using the tape, if its gettin too hot, i know my kart is getting bound up or too tight.

3- Not exactly sure on this, but have heard anywhere from 9 to 13hp in stock form with the pipe and filter on and governor removed and timing bumped up.

4- pick your favorite oil and go with it, but you need something that helps with the heat. I use Thor Light and always have, change it after each night of racing and oil is always as clean as it was when it went in.

5- ARC Racing website, kartpartsdepo, B&M Karting, DoverPower, pick one and find what you need. I tend to shop around and get what i need depending on who has the best prices for what i need, but have had good luck with cheap prices and quality parts from Bark Competition in the past.

Cant answer that last question, but seems like tracks all over the country are switching to clone classes and pushing the flathead and animals out, but there are still some parts of the country where clones havent really caught on and the flattys and animals are more dominant there. Just depends on where you go. I like the AKRA clone and the rules for them because you can go just about anywhere in the country and race under the same set of rules with a clone, while with flatty you have either IKF or WKA rules to choose from and follow and have to find out which ones the track you wanna race at is using. Most tracks seem to use AKRA rules now or are starting to move toward those rules.

None of this is all facts, just my personal opinion on your questions because i like to help if i can. Im sure others will chime in with their opinions and some facts also. Good luck and hope you get back into it and love it.

I think the clones are becoming much more popular mainly because of price, as compared to the Animal. As the aftermarket company's are coming out with more upgrades, the more popular they seem to be becoming.

Dover power is a great place to get any parts you need, and very good people to work with. you can't beat Mr. Jerry. I just ordered two plastic bodies from M&M performance, Mr. Bruce is great also. Clones have just about taken over in our area.

I think the clones are becoming much more popular mainly because of price, as compared to the Animal. As the aftermarket company's are coming out with more upgrades, the more popular they seem to be becoming.

Tell us how much you spend in two years on that inexpensive clone after the weekly up dates, rebuilds etc.. LO 206 price of oil change after each race, clean filter and go racing. The LO 206 cost is cheaper to buy and race and much less work. I have run one for two years so this is JMO

Tell us how much you spend in two years on that inexpensive clone after the weekly up dates, rebuilds etc.. LO 206 price of oil change after each race, clean filter and go racing. The LO 206 cost is cheaper to buy and race and much less work. I have run one for two years so this is JMO
If you live where the animal has taken off the 206 will be a good thing, but all over the south the animal just never really took off

For question 4:
We use Royal Purple 5w20 and 10 oz or 300 ml. I know others using Mobil 1 pure synthetic.
I have not experimented around to know about other oils. Just letting you know you don't have to buy specialty racing oil.

Back