Just Tore Down A Briggs 5HP Flattie

Ran great, no smoke, just a great running Engine. Just asking for a quick answer as to what I found WRONG(?) with it, as far as what most Folks say is not good?

personally I don’t… cylinder pressure don’t care if it gotta straight shot or gotta make a few turns to get where it’s goin

The reason you assemble them with gaps not aligned is because it's the right way to do it.
Some rings will move more than others. (Especially with low tension tings.) Some rings spin, some don't move much at all.
You certainly do not want the ring end gaps aligned with one another on purpose.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I am going to guess that the gaps that sort of lined up, lined up towards the valve side of the cylinder on your flathead engine. Just my opinion from disassembling some well used Lo206 engines is that the gap is the lightest part of the ring and it naturally orientates towards the opposite side of the heaviest force that it experiences. The most force is the forward facing side of the piston while moving up and down the cylinder with the cranks rotation.

I am going to guess that the gaps that sort of lined up, lined up towards the valve side of the cylinder on your flathead engine. Just my opinion from disassembling some well used Lo206 engines is that the gap is the lightest part of the ring and it naturally orientates towards the opposite side of the heaviest force that it experiences. The most force is the forward facing side of the piston while moving up and down the cylinder with the cranks rotation.
Wow, I just checked. It looks as though you are correct. Good stuff.

Back