Kart Counts Dwindling

yeah these are some good points. I would say there are a lot of ways to "succeed" without winning, I'm sure you would agree. Just improving and constantly getting better is a big acheivement. Then when you start running up front and yes there is only 1 winner but being competitive and up front is all you can ask for.

I completely agree however for many people I think the problem starts here. When asked by folks outside of the racing world how you did one particular night, how often does it go like: "Did you win"? Like with almost if not every other sport, its a binary question. As you've stated, there is actually more to it than finishing 1st or finishing 2nd-30th. Heck in some cases there's 50 plus entries in a single class. Just to crack the top five in some races is a major achievement given the correct perspective.

I know I could have sold them out mine would of been big enough to work on the kart and store everything needed there, some would of been bigger for 2 karts, No dragging a trailer to the track.

"Garages" are very popular in the sprint world. In the 4 sprint tracks around me, every single track has garages that are sold out or almost completely full. I have a garage at the clsoest sprint track. NOthing better than driving my fuel efficient car to the track, opening the door, and having everything I need. No generator, no trailer, no tow rig. You have lights, outlets, wifi, etc. At the end of the night, I shut the door and drive my car home to a good nights sleep.

I haven’t read thru all the responses however I blame parenting nowadays. Too many parents are ok with video games babysitting their kids.. resulting in lack of ability to interact with others, lack of drive, lack of knowing the feeling of losing and winning... the list goes on and on. Just my opinion.. however I do my best as a dad trying to show my 14 and 8 year old good work ethics.. I tell them if they learn that at a young age, they will be head and shoulders above anyone else when they start a career . So far it’s working. But what do I know? I just do the best I can as we all do.
The behavior of some of the parents at the track makes me want to quit at times.
These are kids racing go karts. It’s supposed to be fun.
It’s not the Daytona 500, calm down and let everyone enjoy themselves.

I have had numerous discussions with fellow racers about the Kart count. A lot of what has been said here mirrors those conversations. However two things keep coming up in those conversations, money races and tire costs. I started 9 years ago at 58, with a used blue clone motor, used tires (2 sets), and used everything else. After a couple of years, my experience, a couple of thousand questions and help from fellow racers allowed me to obtain several top 3 championship trophies. I have not WON a race in 9 years, come close but can't get over the hump, LOL. Slowly the blue clone turned yellow, got modified, refresh / updates skyrocketed. I refused to play the money game, as a result I was no longer running with the pack up front. They had new tires, best prep, and high dollar engines. Several people I raced against started to chase the money races. I see a lack of commitment by the younger ones, not willing to put the time in to prepare (learning curve), expectation to win (now), cost I'm sure plays a part, but do you see the number of dirt bike riders in the cross country racing series? I run on a track that is managed by several people that put their heart and sole in providing a good race environment. My goal has always been to win, but now it's also to send a message to the younger racers, "this ol' man is coming". Damn it's fun

One to consider in today's world. Let's say a family wants to go racing with just 1 child and no racing experience.

Think of the racing options they have today and the cost it would take to go racing in each one.

600 Racing (Legends, etc.)
Outlaw Karts
Quarter Midgets
Micro Sprints
Dirt Oval Karts
Rental Rides (Oval & Road Coarse)
Sharp Mini Late Models
Mini Mods
Etc.

Years ago if you wanted to race under 10 years old you had very limited options which was basically karts. I like that the kids have options now but I believe it hurts the plate class entries some.

So if the # of families (getting in or staying in) has went down some and you divide that by more options you get less entries.

A lot of new parents don't have the necessary mechanical inclination and drive to work at something most will fail at their first year. We currently live in a world coddled and pushed to years of college only to graduate, realize everyone else their age also graduated with degrees and that the college educated job pool is slim at best, for a job a college adviser or television ad depicted so intently.

Too many want instant gratification with as little investment of money and time as possible. All in all I feel the most bad for the kids... the parents are too far gone to reprogram, the kids are salvageable but without proper direction... it's a spiral.

Next time you're at the track (especially dirt tracks), take a look around and see/inquire into the parental professional pool. I'll put money the overwhelming majority are trade professionals, or their parents were trade professionals...

Karting is becoming more and more a hereditary sport, and less and less an acquired one.

In a nutshell, I'm blaming the dumbing down/unrealisitic ideology of society, and an education system more focused on churning out CEO's than they are entrepreneurs/free thinkers.

I understand the garage/storage problem. Here is what I did. (No trailer and a divorce about put me out of the hobby I enjoy)

Rented a 10'x20' mini storage unit and put all my racing stuff in it. Cost me less than $75 a month. Built a work bench and went on the weekends to get my 2 karts refreshed/rebuilt over the winter. I had a no power or lights unit so learned to go during the day and work of LED lanterns if I had to stay late. But I was dry and out of the weather with space to work. Eventually purchased a trailer and moved out of the unit.

But I was thinking the entire time if I had to go out the truck and keep the unit I could have. Like any hobby if you really want it you will make it happen.

(Be surprised how many people use storage units. Every one of the units in my row was being used for something other than storing crap you don't need. Motorcycles, ATV's, Classic Cars, etc.)

Karting is becoming more and more a hereditary sport, and less and less an acquired one.

Motorsport in general has. People are afraid of the implied cost. "Isn't that for rich people?"
They also arent willing to learn the necessary skills/knowledge to work on their own equipment.

I'm the outlier. I knew I wanted to race as a kid. And I made it happen.
But I don't know anyone in their teens/twenties that developed a love for motorsport naturally in their adult lives.

We're all crazy, whether we want to admit it or not!
We go out there, we lose, we crash, we spend all of our money. To race for what? 100% payback? A medal? A trophy? Bragging rights? MAYBE a few dollars sometimes?
We chase each other around for 30 minutes on an oval.
We're the crazy ones!

Motorsport in general has. People are afraid of the implied cost. "Isn't that for rich people?"
They also arent willing to learn the necessary skills/knowledge to work on their own equipment.

But I don't know anyone in their teens/twenties that developed a love for motorsport naturally in their adult lives.

We go out there, we lose, we crash, we spend all of our money. To race for what? 100% payback? A medal? A trophy? Bragging rights? MAYBE a few dollars sometimes?
We're the crazy ones!
bazingaaa! crazy and I wouldn't have it any other way.

We're the crazy ones!
STICKERS! I race for win stickers!

Back