Kart race engines vs. the big displacement....

The TKM BT82 is the engine you are thinking of. And they were just about as equal as any other jica. They have a modern version still made today. TKM also made several reed and rotaries. The TKM R135 was available with bores from 135-150cc.
I get it, but the BT82 is not even close in performance to my Comer P51. I have owned both.

We keep hearing about this p51….
I get it, but the BT82 is not even close in performance to my Comer P51. I have owned both.
Quit talking about it and strap it on…
Guarantee I have a Yamaha that will outrun it…
Ask Chuck… Ain’t you late for school?

No way a stock Yamaha is gonna outrun a P51. Why do you think WKA made P51s run heavier weight than any other piston port? Stock Yamahas at sprint tracks vs JICAs like the P51 were 2 seconds slower in Europe back when they were run (talking about 40 to 50 second laps), Good JICAs (piston ports) were very close to the lap times of reeds. So no guarantee, if your Yamaha is stock it will be way slower than a P51. If it is not stock the same work you can do in a Yamaha to make it faster can be done to a P51 to make it even faster. Mine is strap on, by the way. It is at a sprint track in Spain and I actually needed a bunch of days to beat the times from the P51 with a KZ shifter and I am still faster with it than most modern TAGs. Chuck has never owned a P51 but he has seen the times P51s can run and knows they had to add extra weight for a reason. Why trying to compare engines that have nothing to do with each other in power or performance in their stock form?
and no, your Yamaha won't outrun my P51 which I got from an F1 Test driver and was a Comer factory engine from the FIA/CIK European Championship. I bought it in a package with a good Yamaha and once i installed both on the same chassis I was never back to the Yamaha. The P51 could run circles around the good Yamaha and is very reliable too. By the way, many of you get confuse with the P50 vs the P51. I have owned both, but their performance is completely different. Even some people have sold/bought P50s thinking they were P51s.

Last edited:
Back