Kart Suits for the inbetweener . . . que the fat man in a small coat music.

IRQVET

Been looking for a Kart suit but it appears I'm in the "inbetweener" range as I'm too fat for the suit sizes based on my height. I'm looking for a used suit on eBay, and I recently saw a Large K1 (size 58) but at 5'11 and 215 lbs I'm not sure if it'll work.

Anyone been in this situation before?

Just make sure its a good firesuit. I prefer the 3 layer but a single layer will work as well... plus most kart suits/jackets are not fireproof that i have seen

Just a precaution, auto racing suits are intended to protect you from fire. Motorcycle and kart suits are for protection from "sliding along the track" stuff.

On the K1 sizes. My Son and I both wear K1 size 60 (XL). I'm 5'10" at 195. The 60 fits me about perfectly, with room enoght to wear my rib protector INSIDE the suit. It's a little loose, which I prefer. My Son is about 5'11" at 225ish. It fits him well also and it is what he will replace his current suit with. However, he wears his rib protector OUTSIDE the suit.

So likely the 58 will fit, but possibly at little tight, maybe? K1 stuff isn't all that pricey, so getting a size larger won't break the bank.

Hope that helps,
Clark Gaynor Sr.

Since we are on the subject anyone wear a motorcycle racing jacket with the padding and armor for forearms, shoulders, chest and back? Instead of buying a jacket and then rib/chest protector I was thinking about this route after my accident last year. Would have been nice to have some shoulder protection. Many have removable back pieces if you didn’t like it or it was uncomfortable but they are made to bend with your back. I don’t see any reason why a motorcycle racing jacket would be any different in protection than a kart jacket. We are dealing with the same type of possible injuries in a kart or on a motorcycle.

As said previously a suit made for car racing is not going to protect you from road rash just fire. Might as well just wear a sweatshirt in a kart. You could also look into a good leather jacket that fits you.

We road race and they mandate full, one piece suits. Dirt I realize is different.

Inexpensive to me is less then a set of tires. My Son runs an X30, and at the end of a two day event, a set of tires are ready for the recycle bin. In sprint racing, at least a set a day to be competitive.

Money for safety gear is never a waste.
Clark Sr.

Got it for $85, its (size 58) and its a bit snug on my 5'11 215lb frame. So either I'll lose weight, or I'll run it this season and change up next year. I also got the guys rib and neck protector for an additional $35 (for both). Everything was only worn 3-4 times by the previous owner and still look pretty new.

Attachments

• IMG_0652.JPG
    IMG_0652.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 20
Since we are on the subject anyone wear a motorcycle racing jacket with the padding and armor for forearms, shoulders, chest and back? Instead of buying a jacket and then rib/chest protector I was thinking about this route after my accident last year. Would have been nice to have some shoulder protection. Many have removable back pieces if you didn’t like it or it was uncomfortable but they are made to bend with your back. I don’t see any reason why a motorcycle racing jacket would be any different in protection than a kart jacket. We are dealing with the same type of possible injuries in a kart or on a motorcycle.
I've been wondering the same. My street bike jacket has much more protection than karting jackets.

Certified nomax suit and a polyester kart jacket no comparison .
Leather will definitely be better then polyester /nylon .. .

Last edited:
I've been wondering the same. My street bike jacket has much more protection than karting jackets.
And the rib, back, chest, shoulder and forearm protection vests seem much better than the karting rib protectors. In motorcycle racing and kart racing the dangers are the same but one has much more speed than the other so I see no problem with it.

Back