Kart weight

Prouddad

Bought an older kart for my daughter. Kart weight is 170#, minimum weight in her class is 250# . My daughter weight is 200# that puts us at 370#. Anyone have any suggestions on how to make her competitive?

We had to move up to a higher age division because my kid was too heavy for his age class. You'll have a hard time being competitive 120 lbs heavy. 30-40 lbs maybe.

I don't want to sound cruel or anything, but if your girls a Junior and she weighs 200 pounds, you need to take her to a doctor, get that weight under control.

I don't want to sound cruel or anything, but if your girls a Junior and she weighs 200 pounds, you need to take her to a doctor, get that weight under control.

Hate to break the news to ya but you just did, sound cruel that is I realize you meant it out of concern, but just say N.

Wow, I cant believe I just read that!
My last attempt at posting did not work, trying again.
I am still a beginner at kart setup and have no shame in admitting I don't know much about it, but I will say it can be done. Last season there was a girl in my sons class that was very competitive. If I had to guess I would say she was close to if not a little over the 200 pound mark. She was 12 and was on the heavy side, but she was also tall. I don't know how they set her kart up but she was running in the top 4 every week. She also took first place a couple of times at another track in the area. I don't know how they got her kart to run fast carrying more weight than the other junior karts, but she was up there.

Bought an older kart for my daughter. Kart weight is 170#, minimum weight in her class is 250# . My daughter weight is 200# that puts us at 370#. Anyone have any suggestions on how to make her competitive?

There is only one suggestion, your going to have to find the sweet spot for what the chassis likes first, then REALLY be on your game with the tires.

Let me add what we did while running way over the weight limit in the lower class:

Get the seat as far left and forward as you can, you won't be adding any lead. If that #170lb kart has lead on it, take it off.
Get the seat as low and laid back as you can and mount it with some play in the mounting bolts
Move the right side wheels out, the left sides all the way in.
I found moving the right rear tire/axle back (increase right side wheel base) helped a lot.
If she struggles with power, ask the track if she can get an exception to run a one step bigger restrictor plate or bigger cam (might be a wink and nod deal with tech inspector)

Back