karting dead?

Paul....you were speaking hypothetically I hope about Brad stealing all the 2 strokes from the UAS?

he must be speaking of all the 2cycles currently sitting in the garage in MY area not HIS that want to race..... the splitting of the class was done long before I posted anything....I been out of it for 7 years....funny my son hasn't taken offense to me getting something together seeing as he owns a new umax kart and GM motor to compete in the UAS. How are you supporting the UAS Paul? Hmmmm

Where are your new drivers coming from the kids around here are moving into modifieds and stockcars as soon as they can even if it is a 4 cylinder car it is closer to where they want too be

down her it in sprints modlites or dwarf cars u can go to sir in Illinois an there will be 200 people in the stands an 10 bucks to get in. there was 15 dwarf cars last few weeks an more people getting in.

Ive read these same topics in posts, in articles, and in conversation for 40 years of karting.......

Your either in it, getting in it, getting out of it, or sitting on the fence after getting out of it trying to get someone to notice you cause you not in it anymore.

Its a hobby and peoples hobbys changes with the wind.

Is baseball growing? Is football growing? Is badmitton growing? What about fishing, is it growing?

I have my own opinions on the "current" buzz killers of karting but they are different from my opinion on the buzz killer of karting from a decade ago and a decade before that.

Something that never changes is people........Never satisfied, ....never content, and mostly lazy if it they have to do something.

So if your in it, spend some money and have some good times. If your not, move on and get your kid in dance class or something and have a good time there. Just keep those credit card receipts hid from the wife. :)

Ive read these same topics in posts, in articles, and in conversation for 40 years of karting.......

Your either in it, getting in it, getting out of it, or sitting on the fence after getting out of it trying to get someone to notice you cause you not in it anymore.

Its a hobby and peoples hobbys changes with the wind.

Is baseball growing? Is football growing? Is badmitton growing? What about fishing, is it growing?

I have my own opinions on the "current" buzz killers of karting but they are different from my opinion on the buzz killer of karting from a decade ago and a decade before that.

Something that never changes is people........Never satisfied, ....never content, and mostly lazy if it they have to do something.

So if your in it, spend some money and have some good times. If your not, move on and get your kid in dance class or something and have a good time there. Just keep those credit card receipts hid from the wife. :)

Don't hold back, C'mon, tell us how you feel... Chris's only problem is that he can't get over his shyness and introverted demeanor....

I agree with you 100% and I've been racing even longer. The problem is that if there is any work involved, people would rather just whine and complain. They certainly don't want to put any effort into it. If karting is dying in your part of the country, it's because you have helped kill it. And that was great advise, don't let the wife see those credit card bills......................

Where are your new drivers coming from the kids around here are moving into modifieds and stockcars as soon as they can even if it is a 4 cylinder car it is closer to where they want too be

Kentucky has a new series called Kentucky Open Kart Accociation that has started a class called JR Open, that allows kids that would normally run JR3 or JR non restricted the chance to run an open engine, as long as it is a 212cc or less small block engine platform like the Animal, Honda and Flatheads. They also have RWYB, Open 14.5ci small block, Limited Modified, and Stock Appearing classes on the lineup. At the first race, small block open was the biggest class with around 15 karts and JR Open only had one, but JR Open is starting to pick up karts, and more are building for 14.5ci Open or RWYB also

I've noticed this new Kentucky series I've been wondering what the difference is in the open 14.5 class & the limited mod class all those rules kind of confuse me.It's also a Burris tire rule correct?

I've noticed this new Kentucky series I've been wondering what the difference is in the open 14.5 class & the limited mod class all those rules kind of confuse me.It's also a Burris tire rule correct?

Contact Tony on their Facebook page for Kentucky open karting series and he will get back to you pretty quick, there is a short list of rules to keep it simple, Burris tires for all but RWYB but they may change next year not sure.

Thanks I'm in southern Ohio so it's definitely caught my interest considering their payouts.I'm just not a fan of tire rule & open class in the same sentence lol

Both classes use WKA rules...limited uses wka limited modified rules and open 14.5ci uses wka open modified rules

In my neck of the woods, open engine kart racing is minimal at best... doesn't stop me personally from having a nice open animal and a couple 2cycles for my kart...i just as much enjoy putting them together and maintaining them and learning all the modifying tricks i can along the way...most all the time, i have to drive 3-5hrs to find an open class race, not the perfect situation, but well worth the opportunity to get to race all that hp, along the way i try to talk up open class racing and offer as much help to those in need as i can...

I like it when guys use this space to talk about and share their ideas that will get more people involved in karting.........anything else is negative and doesn't help re-grow the sport. I say find whats good in karting and spend more time promoting and talking about that.

I was just going to comment that kart racing is on a MAJOR comeback (at least judging by our sales over the last year,) then I realized that this thread is revived from back in 2017!

Karting is definitely rebounding in certain areas. The whole small block open revolution on it's own has sure changed the karting skyline here over the last couple of years.

The only real place I see a real deficiency that concerns me, is in the junior classes at the local level - that's a trend that goes back 8-10 years now and needs some correction.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Well Kankakee it seems to be doing well. The 2 cycle class is getting stronger mostly cause of the tire rule in my opinion. Racing for fun and no money helps keep the racing clean.

Back