Karting Idea

What are some ways that I can be involved in karting while making money? I have considered becoming dealers for different brands and stuff like that but what are some ideas you guys have that can make me a few bucks and will help karting around me. I understand that any of the ideas will take a lot of time and stuff and that you have to put a lot of time and stuff into them but I am just trying to think of ways to make some money and stuff while being involved in karting. Like becoming a salesman on the side or anything like that. Feel free to comment on here or PM me with ideas.

Vinyl work would probably have the cheapest start up costs. Becoming a body and seat dealer would probably be next if I was guessing. Simple answer is that you have to spend money to make it. Want to be a tire dealer? Be prepared to sink $10k plus in inventory and make $10 per set if you're lucky. Not much meat on the bone for local guys with the ease of online retailers.

Agree with above post. Vinyl and bodies (when you can get them), but even that is seasonal sales for the local guys.
Very little mark-up in the karting industry. 10% on most things - 20% if you're real lucky.
Invest a LOT, make a little.
There is some money to be made in labor and skill intensive stuff, but not worth messing with the parts end in my opinion. Now, with that said, parts sales at the track can be decent, but again there's a huge outlay of cash for inventory (and enough to keep everyone happy no matter what brand of chassis or engine they run.)

Most temporary jobs are paying $15/hr now -- I'd highly suggest that as an alternative. For the hours I put in here, I'm certainly not making that much, especially after overhead and inventory taxes. You'd also have absolutely no headaches or paperwork when you punch the timeclock each day -- there's something to be said for that. Whether it's pushing a mop or burning french fries, $15/hr with little responsibility is not a bad deal, especially if you can sock every bit of it away for your kart expenses.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I may have a little different way of looking at it that most. My thought process when I first became a venom juice dealer(still am) was I have to buy this anyways. Well I can help people in my area, but I also need to have prep for myself or whoever races for me. Everything I buy and do is to help keep the money in my pocket. Yes I make a little here and there from selling prep. Mounting seats and bodies. Cutting,preping,mounting, staggering tires. But all of that goes right into my program. Eventually I'll be a tire dealer. But at this time, the ends don't justify the means on dropping that kind of money.

Build a team up with a few karts and rent them out whether its per race or per season offer coaching lessons I'd focus on younger clientelle and sell it to their parents. I think there's a small market out there if you can find it for kids who may want to get into racing but their parents aren't the handiest when it comes to maintaining a kart or have any slightlest idea how to set up a kart. Definitely not the cheapest route but probably has the most satisfaction if you enjoy bringing in new generations and being able to help maintain the sport of karting.

Build a team up with a few karts and rent them out whether its per race or per season offer coaching lessons I'd focus on younger clientelle and sell it to their parents. I think there's a small market out there if you can find it for kids who may want to get into racing but their parents aren't the handiest when it comes to maintaining a kart or have any slightlest idea how to set up a kart. Definitely not the cheapest route but probably has the most satisfaction if you enjoy bringing in new generations and being able to help maintain the sport of karting.
Yeah that was tried.
When one of the kids wrecks and gets hurt, guess who mommy and daddy wanna sue?

I mean I am gonna have a job when I can drive and stuff but I was pondering the idea of seeing what I can do to have my dad and I become an Amsoil Dealer and sell on the internet and promote on social media and sell at the kart track and the drag races and stuff like that. Or even becoming a dealer for a prep company which would be hard to do since I buy prep from someone and I wouldn't want to sell prep from another company because I wouldn't do that to him but I could even consider in the next few years trying to become a prep dealer around here for the people I buy my prep from and maybe not even make much money with it but get benefits like a great deal on prep for my use and stuff like that. Or selling alky to open kart and becoming a dealer for VP or something and sell to drag racers and street racers and go kart racers and dirt trackers in the area. I mean there has to be something I can do with my time on the side to make some money or just benefit kartinf and motorsports around me. I understand I am not gonna make bank from it but like there has to be something I can do.

I mean I am gonna have a job when I can drive and stuff but I was pondering the idea of seeing what I can do to have my dad and I become an Amsoil Dealer and sell on the internet and promote on social media and sell at the kart track and the drag races and stuff like that. Or even becoming a dealer for a prep company which would be hard to do since I buy prep from someone and I wouldn't want to sell prep from another company because I wouldn't do that to him but I could even consider in the next few years trying to become a prep dealer around here for the people I buy my prep from and maybe not even make much money with it but get benefits like a great deal on prep for my use and stuff like that. Or selling alky to open kart and becoming a dealer for VP or something and sell to drag racers and street racers and go kart racers and dirt trackers in the area. I mean there has to be something I can do with my time on the side to make some money or just benefit kartinf and motorsports around me. I understand I am not gonna make bank from it but like there has to be something I can do.
You can do anything.

The question becomes, time vs. money. You'll find very quickly that all the things you mentioned, the time is not worth the minimal money you will make.

Buy about 6 gopros and a drone, and record the races. Have 2 on-kart cams, one each straight, one at start finish, couple in the turns. Add a professional-sounding sportscaster voiceover yourself. and some basic a/v graphics to create a "broadcast" package. Sell as PPV to networks and directly to parents via website. Add in "commercials" to local companies (read: parents of drivers) and go from there.

Buy about 6 gopros and a drone, and record the races. Have 2 on-kart cams, one each straight, one at start finish, couple in the turns. Add a professional-sounding sportscaster voiceover yourself. and some basic a/v graphics to create a "broadcast" package. Sell as PPV to networks and directly to parents via website. Add in "commercials" to local companies (read: parents of drivers) and go from there.
I've always thought about doing something along the same thought process but a little different. I'd like to purchase a fair amount of go pros (maybe start with 5-10 or so) and rent them out at the track. The basic package would include the go pro for the day, basic video editing after the race, and then a digital copy of the race sent to the person who rented the go pro. Could always offer additional add ons to really drive incremental sales such as DVD copy, slow motion replays, and picture in picture video (front and rear view) with multiple camera rental.

I've always thought about doing something along the same thought process but a little different. I'd like to purchase a fair amount of go pros (maybe start with 5-10 or so) and rent them out at the track. The basic package would include the go pro for the day, basic video editing after the race, and then a digital copy of the race sent to the person who rented the go pro. Could always offer additional add ons to really drive incremental sales such as DVD copy, slow motion replays, and picture in picture video (front and rear view) with multiple camera rental.
I'd be worried about GoPros disappearing, if only through accidental forgetting to return. (see: transponders.) LOL Neat idea, though.

Not trying to discourage you in anyway.....but....it's been a long standing opinion of mine that one of the biggest problems in karting (or any kind of similar hobby) is that there are way too many people trying to pull money out of it in one way or another, which causes an overabundance of competition for every buck the racers spend, causing maybe lower than wanted profit margins to the point the financial and personal time investment simply isn't justified, even for the very most equipped and experienced kart shop owners, but again, if you feel you've got the drive, energy and ability to squeeze max lemonade out of lemons...go for it....😉

^^ Unlike most motorsports, which are financially driven by spectators and marketers, karting is a participant-driven sport, and you're right that there are only so many dollars the racers are willing (or able) to part with. That's part of why a value-added service makes sense to me.

Becoming a oil, fuel, prep sales source (at track or internet) is going to mean a rather large outlay of money to be able to compete on price.
Randy Ransom (ATTL) asked me many years ago why I don't sell Trac Tac, and I simply answered that every other kart shop already does -- I'd be competing on price alone. That's not something I want to get into. To compete on price, you must be able to purchase a TON of product and sell that same Ton every 30 days. Now, we DO sell a good bit of his product, but we don't even try to compete with the distributors on pricing.

Any products that we make here in house, anything that has our labor invested into it, becomes considerably more valuable as we are the only ones that the product can be purchased from, (Carlson Racing Engines, Vector Chassis, Vector Cutz Blueprinted Tires, Vector Tire Preps, Vector Clutch Rebuilding Services, etc.) When the product is the exact same thing that everyone else already sells online - you fall victim to competing on price alone -- and that lessens margins considerably. Then there's the IRS and state tax id, business license, etc. Don't think that the government won't take a share (and then some,) and don't think they'll make your upstart business any easier.
If you're just wanting to start out with something as a "hobby" business just to get your feet wet and learn the ropes...just pick up a prep brand and retail it locally at your track. If you're connected with someone already - work with that person. Run it like a lemon-aid stand and keep it below $600 to fly under the radar until you're ready to get serious about starting your own business. That's not my legal advice, btw. You've got school and helping around the house/shop to fill your time too, remember. :)

If your not planning on racing anymore

I have about 6 local racers that come to my shop for help. I rebuild their engines and clutches, resurface tires, scale the kart, offer advise, and will even rebuild the kart for them. That keeps me plenty busy. The problem is I am not a good business man and seldom charge much.
Most of these people could not afford to race otherwise.

I have about 6 local racers that come to my shop for help. I rebuild their engines and clutches, resurface tires, scale the kart, offer advise, and will even rebuild the kart for them. That keeps me plenty busy. The problem is I am not a good business man and seldom charge much.
Most of these people could not afford to race otherwise.
Thats my biggest service from buying product from me. You get me and all my tools. Heck last Saturday I had to go drop prep off to a guy. Then ended up in some guys trailer till after practice wiping tires and adjusting stuff. Cough cough @mike97760 🤣

Back