Karting Idea

I mean I have all the tools to do standard karting stuff. Bead breakers, Tire Bands, Tire Roller, I put my predator motor together and it ran in the front of the pack whenever the driver wanted to drive like he should cuz ya know I am a beginner at driving and didn't always drive my line and the track that well. I take my clutch apart and clean it every weekend and I do everything I need to do on my kart. Could I make business of that?

How fast would scales pay for themself? I need to buy a set and if someone pays someone to put a setup on a kart how much will they normally pay? I would need to buy toe plates, caster camber gauge, and then sell lead. I mean I could mount bodies, I would like to mount seats but I don't know how to do that my uncle did it for me. I mean I would use scales all the time and then I wouldn't have to make calls with a week till race day if something happened at the previous race and I want a different setup in the kart.

Your biggest issue is .
Getting people to Pay .
Your willing to accept a small margin which is good , along with the love of the sport .
You mentioned lead . That's simple and not everyone can do it . cast some pucks up this winter will its still cold outside . Ie : outside . . Have them ready by spring .

Around here its $50 to $100 for scaling. Like i said, I'm not a good businessman so I usually charge a case of Beer.
Once you have all the equipment you still need to demonstrate that you know what you are doing, which means running up front every week. Not many people are gonna pay for the expertise of a back of the pack runner.
I don't really do it for the money I like helping people get fast.
I did rent an engine out on a weekly basis last year. That went quite well.

Thats cool. I am 15 so if I charged for beer it would be my dad receiving the beer. I mean I could help slower guys and new guys try to be fast. Basically I need to become faster and stuff to build a business?

Thats my biggest service from buying product from me. You get me and all my tools. Heck last Saturday I had to go drop prep off to a guy. Then ended up in some guys trailer till after practice wiping tires and adjusting stuff. Cough cough @mike97760 🤣
Nobody was coughing until you fired up that witches vat of tire goo. But it, as usual, worked! Thanks for all your help, Jacob, I appreciate it.

Here’s how to become a millionaire. Start with $2,000,000 and go race go karts. In a few years you’ll be a millionaire. 😜

Agree with above post. Vinyl and bodies (when you can get them), but even that is seasonal sales for the local guys.
Very little mark-up in the karting industry. 10% on most things - 20% if you're real lucky.
Invest a LOT, make a little.
There is some money to be made in labor and skill intensive stuff, but not worth messing with the parts end in my opinion. Now, with that said, parts sales at the track can be decent, but again there's a huge outlay of cash for inventory (and enough to keep everyone happy no matter what brand of chassis or engine they run.)

Most temporary jobs are paying $15/hr now -- I'd highly suggest that as an alternative. For the hours I put in here, I'm certainly not making that much, especially after overhead and inventory taxes. You'd also have absolutely no headaches or paperwork when you punch the timeclock each day -- there's something to be said for that. Whether it's pushing a mop or burning french fries, $15/hr with little responsibility is not a bad deal, especially if you can sock every bit of it away for your kart expenses.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
I read jc specialty builds 700 motors a yr. Sell them for 1200 and have 250 in them.hell the tech man at the track said he tears em down and they pay him a 100$ to put them back together.lol

You mentioned your dad drag racing. I would consider something you can do in that venue to make a little cash because your racing will suffer if you try to do it at the kart track and also race. One thing not mentioned so far is being a track photographer. We are all suckers for pictures.

Thats cool. I am 15 so if I charged for beer it would be my dad receiving the beer. I mean I could help slower guys and new guys try to be fast. Basically I need to become faster and stuff to build a business?
Very few people are going to trust a 15 yr old to any type of set up work or tire work unless you are winning every weekend, and at the biggest races in the country. You have to prove to others that you know what you are doing. Its the same as any business thats not kart related as well, people arent going to pay someone their hard earned money unless they have proven themselves.
Do what millions of other 15 yr olds have done, mow lawns, wash cars, etc. Thats the easiest way to start making extra income until you are able to better yourself in the karting world.
One last thought, get with someone who does know about set ups and karting, possible motor builders, and study and learn and listen.

Very few people are going to trust a 15 yr old to any type of set up work or tire work unless you are winning every weekend, and at the biggest races in the country. You have to prove to others that you know what you are doing. Its the same as any business thats not kart related as well, people arent going to pay someone their hard earned money unless they have proven themselves.
Do what millions of other 15 yr olds have done, mow lawns, wash cars, etc. Thats the easiest way to start making extra income until you are able to better yourself in the karting world.
One last thought, get with someone who does know about set ups and karting, possible motor builders, and study and learn and listen.

100%

Back