Karting oil viscosity & when to run what?

Wyomingracer

THIS IS NOT ABOUT BRANDS OF OIL!!! That being said...

Some brands of oil have light, medium, and heavy oil viscosity. What weights would be the medium & heavy equate to? When is it time to go to a heavy, lots of RPM - hot air temps ect?? I'm seeing a little more piston skirt wear that I would like to see in my somewhat open Animal enigne.. On race gas, always clean oil (good fully syn 20W karting oil), good air cleaner setup that isn't letting any dirt through. I've had excellent luck & have never suffered an intermal engine part failure - especially oil related. I'm wondering if I can clean up the pistion skirt / cyl wear by going to a heavy??

Thanks!
K~

"Typically" (note, read as not always true) karting oils are Lite 10-15wt, Medium 15-20wt, and heavy runs between 25-30wt. Not all brands follow this, but for the most part the "popular" oils stay pretty close to this from what I've seen.

What piston are you using? First thing to do, make sure you do not have ANY burrs on the bottom of the cylinder bore. I take mine and use a lapping stick and knock off any burrs then sand it with 1000 grit sand paper.

First thing to do, make sure you do not have ANY burrs on the bottom of the cylinder bore.

Nailed it.
That, and getting the piston to cylinder clearance correct for the oil type and temperature run.
Make sure that the cylinder has a good (deep enough) cross hatch in it to carry enough oil and plateau finish it real smooth. Be certain that it is cleaned thoroughly before assembly. Clean it again if there's any doubt!

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

What grit of stone to you suggest for the right depth of crosshatch cut? Tell me more about what oil for what temp, I don't have a clue here..
Thanks guys,
K~

Back