Karting Technology Conference Call - KTCC

Can a small group of people with good ideas really make a difference?The discussion last night would suggest the answer is yes.The impact of a successful 206 program and it's extension of pro gas/animal can benefit the sport and help create the cooperative environment that's been lacking for a very long time.

We can all talk the talk but can we all walk the walk?
In other words who is going to actually do some of the things suggested.
Each of us should have a job assigned to us. Yea more work.
The results need to be measured.
IMHO

Next conference call is set for Tuesday 11/26/13 at 8:00 PM eastern time. If there are any other engine builders / Briggs Motorsports dealers that want to participate in this Briggs Animal technical conference call please contact me.

The basic topic for this discussion is top end tune up for the Animal engines.
Future discussion will be short block preparation - dimensions, clearances & surface finishes.

Thanks
Steve
419-217-3881 cell
E mail = Bakerracingeng@aol.com

Good stuff Steve- I applaud the energy, effort, and focus, remain mindful that you've already helped to pique interest. We're all trying to create something that others can support, so working together should help to shorten the timeline. Have a wonderful weekend.

Next conference call is set for Tuesday 11/26/13 at 8:00 PM eastern time. If there are any other engine builders / Briggs Motorsports dealers that want to participate in this Briggs Animal technical conference call please contact me.

The basic topic for this discussion is top end tune up for the Animal engines.
Future discussion will be short block preparation - dimensions, clearances & surface finishes.
Camshaft profile readings and degree wheel checking per specs will also be discussed.

Thanks
Steve
419-217-3881 cell

Thanks to all the participants in last nights ATCC. Very good insights into proper monitoring and maintenance for the Animal top end. Next meeting will be next Tuesday 12/3/13 at 8:00 PM eastern time.The topic for discussion for this meeting will be basics of the Animal short block. In general block honing and finishes, clearances for piston to wall, rod, pin and Crankshaft. Camshaft profile and setting piston deck height. If there are any other engine builders / Briggs Motorsports dealers that want to participate in this Briggs Animal technical conference (ATCC) call please contact me.

Thanks
Steve
419-217-3881 cell

Thanks again Steve. That was another enjoyable night of different perspectives on building and racing in general. I always am amazed at how much one can take away from just a bunch of guys chatting for an hour thoroughly enjoyed it. Will be back next time if you'll have me and my small town accent filled northern banter---- wait a minute maybe it's you guys that have the accent----lol.

Greg

Great time with some of the best in karting.Excellent forum for ideas and how to's.I'd really like to see this evolve into a stand alone conference at PRI and a standing monthly or bi-monthly forum for ideas and problem solving for the sport!Thanks Steve for doing this.

Next meeting will be Tuesday 12/3/13 at 8:00 PM eastern time.The topic for discussion for this meeting will be race prepping the Animal short block. If there are any other engine builders / Briggs Motorsports dealers that want to participate in this Briggs Animal Technical Conference (ATCC) call please contact me.

1) Cylinder honing - Finish, geometry and clearances
2) Piston and rod preparation - Finish, geometry and clearances
3) Piston ring measurements and sealing
3) Crankshaft measurements - Geometry, runout and finish
4) Block deck milling and piston pop up measurements
5) Camshaft profile and measuring

Future meeting topics - Specialty engine building tools and fixtures, shop tool / equipment layout for efficiency, Dyno test machines, testing procedures and data acquisition, lubrication / friction and wear, just to name a few.

Thanks
Steve
419-217-3881 cell

Its good to see people working together to make the sport better instead of against one another.

Ben Braun

Kudos to Mr. Baker! Steve has been working really hard, for the betterment of not only WKA members, but the overall racing community. The effort to reach out to Briggs & Stratton, along with other sanctioning bodies, has enabled organizations to move closer to seamless as it relates to the rule-set. Synergies associated with the conference calls serve to help level the playing field, and take some the expense for the customer out of karting. Many are contributing, thanks all for your commitment to making the sport, better.

Thanks to all the participants in last nights ATCC. Very good details for proper piston ring sealing and honing methods. Next meeting will be Tuesday 12/10/13 at 8:00 PM eastern time.The topic for discussion at this meeting will be lubrication with emphases on tribology. If there are any other engine builders / Briggs Motorsports dealers that want to participate in this Briggs Animal technical conference (ATCC) call please contact me.

Thanks
Steve
419-217-3881 cell

Dang missed the one topic that I am most interested in. Us west coast guys have a hard time getting home in time for these calls. Oh well next time I will hope to be there.

Greg

Next meeting will be Tuesday 12/10/13 at 8:00 PM eastern time.The topic of discussion for this meeting will be cylinder wall honing and finish specs. If there are any other engine builders / Briggs Motorsports dealers that want to participate in this Briggs Animal Technical Conference (ATCC) call please contact me.

1) Cylinder block honing
2) Surface finish / cross hatch pattern
3) Measurement methods
3) Honing tools and equipment
4) Piston ring drag and measurements
5) Ring sealing performance vs life

Future meeting topics - Specialty engine building tools and fixtures, shop tool / equipment layout for efficiency, Dyno test machines, testing procedures and data acquisition, lubrication / friction and wear, just to name a few.

Thanks
Steve
419-217-3881 cell

Thanks again Steve for hosting. Here is how we bore as asked.

Some of you may be interested in how I do my aline boring. I do the bore the decking and the base cut all based on the crank centerline via insert bar in the bearings. The machine is so precise that you could almost run the rings on the screw cut from the boring bar. Well almost!! Normally we would have a torque plate on the block when doing this process.

shopkaizen040-1.jpg

Decking the block:
shopkaizen038.jpg

shopkaizen037-1.jpg

Back