Karting Technology Conference Call - KTCC

Thanks to all the participants in last nights ATCC and welcome to the new members. Good insights into cylinder wall finish and evaluation methods. Next meeting will be Tuesday 12/17/13 at 8:00 PM eastern time.The topic for discussion at this meeting will be lubrication with emphases on tribology.Looking forward to this meeting and the knowledge from a special guest from a major oil manufacturer. If there are any other engine builders / Briggs Motorsports dealers that want to participate in this Briggs Animal technical conference (ATCC) call please contact me.

Thanks
Steve
419-217-3881 cell
E mail = Bakerracingeng@aol.com

Next meeting will be Tuesday 12/17/13 at 8:00 PM eastern time.The topic for discussion at this meeting will be lubrication with emphases on tribology. We are looking forward to hearing the expert insights from a major oil manufacturer that will be participating in this meeting. If there are any other engine builders / Briggs Motorsports dealers that want to participate in this Briggs Animal technical conference (ATCC) call please contact me.

1) Oil brand comparison - track / dyno
2) Engine component wear
3) Measurement methods - friction / wear
3) Temperature capability
4) Oil compatibility with fuels
5) Oil to oil compatibility
6) Engine break in procedure - break in oil types

Future meeting topics - Specialty engine building tools and fixtures, shop tool / equipment layout for efficiency, Dyno test machines, testing procedures and data acquisition just to name a few.

Thanks
Steve
419-217-3881 cell

Thanks to all the participants in last nights ATCC meeting with a special thanks to Dave Anderson from Amsoil. Dave has worked 33 years at Amsoil in various technical positions. He was the primarily engineer in the development and testing of the Briggs and Stratton 4T racing oil in conjuction with the Briggs Motorsports technical group. This meeting was very educational as it relates to the below topics.

1) Oil brand comparison - track / dyno
2) Engine component wear
3) Measurement methods - friction / wear
3) Temperature capabilities
4) Oil compatibility with fuels
5) Oil to oil compatibility
6) Engine break in procedure - break in oil types

Next meeting will be Tuesday 1/7/14 at 8:00 PM eastern time.

If there are any other engine builders / Briggs Motorsports dealers that want to participate in this Briggs Animal technical conference (ATCC) call please contact me.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Thanks
Steve
419-217-3881 cell

Steve, I know this is for builders and dealers but I know I would be interested in the meeting minutes and data from the oil conference call. I would assume many others would too. Maybe this is something that could be published?

Thanks

Don Westlie

Steve, I know this is for builders and dealers but I know I would be interested in the meeting minutes and data from the oil conference call. I would assume many others would too. Maybe this is something that could be published?

Thanks

Don Westlie

Don, Thanks for your interest in this meeting topic. At this time we are not documenting official meeting minutes. All the participants are just making there own notes as they see fit for there education. We all did find this meeting very useful as you can imagine how important race engine lubrication is for the performance and life aspects.

Thanks
Steve

Next meeting will be Tuesday 1/7/14 at 8:00 PM eastern time. The topic for discussion at this meeting will be the Walbro PZ22 carburetor. If there are any other engine builders / Briggs Motorsports dealers that want to participate in this Briggs Animal technical conference (ATCC) call please contact me.

Walbro PZ22 carburetor

1) Basic design features
2) Dyno test & tuning
3) Methonal vs. Gasoline
4) Air / fuel ratio
5) Fuel curve vs RPM levels
6) Air flow measurements
7) High & Low speed circuit draw
8) Float & needle function and settings
9) Maintenance / cleaning
10) Technical spec measurements & tech tools

Future meeting topics - Specialty engine building tools and fixtures, shop tool / equipment layout for efficiency, Dyno test machines, testing procedures and data acquisition just to name a few.

Thanks
Steve
419-217-3881 cell

Thanks to all the participants in last nights ATCC meeting. A lot of good insights into Carburetor performance tuning and settings!

Next meeting will be Tuesday 1/14/14 at 8:00 PM eastern time. The topic for discussion at this meeting will be the Animal valve train. If there are any other engine builders / Briggs Motorsports dealers that want to participate in this Briggs Animal technical conference (ATCC) call please contact us.

Animal camshaft / valve train

1) Camshaft design
2) HP vs RPM curves
3) Rocker arm design
4) Valve spring technology
5) Cam profile vs RPM levels
6) Camshaft design vs A/F ratio / affects of reversion
7) Camshaft design for plate engines
8) Valve lift tech checks
9) Camshaft profile tech checks
10) Future camshaft design direction

Future meeting topics - Specialty engine building tools and fixtures, shop tool / equipment layout for efficiency, Dyno test machines, testing procedures, data acquisition and header / exhaust system design just to name a few.

Thanks
Steve
419-217-3881 cell

Sorry I missed it guys -- had some things I wanted to ask and to share.
Hopefully they'll get our phones up and running consistently today...Gheesh, it gets a little cold out and it's like we're back in the 1890's! :)

Thanks though to all the utility workers that are out there risking their health and lives to make our lives a little more comfortable.
Until next week, stay warm guys!

I took many notes from last nights discussion and liked the discussion/theories of what we do to solve problems and WHY.

Thanks to all the participants in last nights ATCC meeting related to the topics listed below. Very in depth discussions about camshaft profiles and valve spring dynamics.

Animal camshaft / valve train

1) Camshaft design
2) HP vs RPM curves
3) Rocker arm design
4) Valve spring technology
5) Cam profile vs RPM levels
6) Camshaft design vs A/F ratio / affects of reversion
7) Camshaft design for plate engines
8) Valve lift tech checks
9) Camshaft profile tech checks
10) Future camshaft design direction

Next meeting will be Tuesday 1/21/14 at 8:00 PM eastern time.

If there are any other engine builders / Briggs Motorsports dealers that want to participate in this Briggs Animal technical conference (ATCC) call please contact me.

Future meeting topics - Specialty engine building tools and fixtures, shop tool / equipment layout for efficiency, Dyno test machines, testing procedures, data acquisition and header / exhaust system design just to name a few.

Thanks
Steve
419-217-3881 cell

Next meeting will be Tuesday 1/21/14 at 8:00 PM eastern time. The topic for discussion at this meeting will be Exhaust Systens. If there are any other engine builders / Briggs Motorsports dealers that want to participate in this Briggs Animal technical conference (ATCC) call please contact me.

Exhaust Systems

1) Basic design features
2) Header flange mounting
3) Tube size & lengths
4) HP vs designs
5) Mounting configurations
6) Bracing of header to engine
7) Sound levels
8) Spec headers vs non spec
9) Muffler designs
10) Muffler clamps
11) Header wrap / heat disperser
12) Header durability issue's

Future meeting topics - Specialty engine building tools and fixtures, shop tool / equipment layout for efficiency, Dyno test machines, testing procedures, data acquisition and clutch design and performance just to name a few.

Thanks
Steve
419-217-3881 cell

Next meeting will be Tuesday 1/28/14 at 8:00 PM eastern time. The topic for discussion at this meeting will be Exhaust Systems. If there are any other engine builders / Briggs Motorsports dealers that want to participate in this Briggs Animal technical conference (ATCC) call please contact me.

This will be an extended discussion of exhaust systems and setting the stage for the next generation Animal exhaust systems. With durability, performance and sound level being the main topics. We are looking forward to this meeting with the participation of a major exhaust system manufacturer present.

1) Basic design features
3) Tube size & lengths
4) HP vs designs
7) Sound levels
8) Spec headers vs non spec
9) Muffler designs
10) Muffler clamps
13) Application flexability

Future meeting topics - Specialty engine building tools and fixtures, shop tool / equipment layout for efficiency, Dyno test machines, testing procedures, data acquisition and clutch design and performance just to name a few.

Thanks
Steve
419-217-3881 cell

Thanks to all the participants in last nights ATCC meeting related to exhaust systems as outlined below. Interesting discussions about current exhaust and good ideas for future designs. Special thanks to Rod Verlengiere from RLV! His 25 + years being involved in exhaust systems was a real asset is this meeting.

1) Basic design features
3) Tube size & lengths
4) HP vs designs
7) Sound levels
8) Spec headers vs. non spec
9) Muffler designs
10) Muffler clamps
13) Application flexibility

Thanks
Steve
419-217-3881 cell

Next meeting will be Tuesday 2/4/14 at 8:00 PM eastern time. The topic for discussion at this meeting will be Dyno testing per the below listed topics.

1) Various types of Dyno's and function
2) Data acquisition systems
3) Repeatability, accuracy and calibration procedures
4) Weather stations / correction factors
4) Specialty engine measurements
5) BSFC, fuel and engine pressures, vibration levels, A/F ratio ( Lamda ), exhaust temps.
6) Dyno cell design - exhaust & room venting

Thanks
Steve
419-217-3881 cell

Because of the depth of interest and importance of this topic this ATCC meeting will continue again next week and beyond if needed.

Next meeting will be Tuesday 2/11/14 at 8:00 PM eastern time. The topic for discussion at this meeting will be Dyno testing per the below listed topics.

4) Dyno drive system balance and accruacy
5) Weather stations / correction factors
6) Air quality and its influence on HP
7) Specialty engine measurements
8) BSFC, fuel and engine pressures, vibration levels, A/F ratio ( Lamda ), exhaust temps.
9) Dyno cell design - exhaust & room venting
10) Engine development testing and evaluation procedures

Thanks
Steve
419-217-3881 cell

Thanks to all the participants in last nights ATCC meeting related to Dyno testing as outlined below. Very interesting discussions with good dyno testing tips. With so much material to cover we only made it thru topic #5 below. Next week's meeting we will start at topic #6 for a continuation on this interesting and important topic.

Next meeting will be Tuesday 2/18/14 at 8:00 PM eastern time. The topic for discussion at this meeting will be Dyno testing per the below listed topics.

4) Dyno drive system balance and accruacy
8) BSFC, fuel and engine pressures, vibration levels, A/F ratio ( Lamda ), exhaust temps.

Thanks
Steve
419-217-3881 cell

Thanks again to all the participants in last nights ATCC meeting related to Dyno testing as outlined below. Very interesting discussions with good dyno testing tips with emphasis on specialty engine measurements and data acquisition methods.

Next meeting will be Tuesday 2/25/14 at 8:00 PM eastern time. The topics for discussion at this meeting will be finishing up on the last two Dyno items #9 & #10 listed below and move into specialty shop tools, fixtures and equipment used in performance engine building.

4) Dyno drive system balance and accuracy

1) Specialty shop tools, fixtures and equipment.

Thanks
Steve
419-217-3881 cell

Thanks again to all the participants in last nights ATCC meeting related to Dyno testing. Again great discussions related to dyno development testing and dyno cell design.

Next meeting will be Tuesday 3/4/14 at 8:00 PM eastern time. The topics for discussion at this meeting will be specialty shop tools, fixtures and equipment used in performance engine building per the below listed agenda.

1) Fixtures and tooling used for block and head milling
2) Valve seats and valve equipment
3) Flow bench types and function
4) Carburetor set up tools and tech gaging
5) Valve spring gaging and pressure measurements
6) Specialty hand tools
7) Cylinder honing equipment
8) Camshaft profile tools and measurement methods
9) Tech tools and measurement methods
10) Tech tool design, accuracy and procurement
11) Shop floor design, tools and equipment layout for efficiency
12) Engine building time study - Cost vs. time vs. quality / performance

Future meeting agenda - Business marketing, advertising and customer service in the business of Performance Engine building.

Thanks
Steve
419-217-3881 cell

Thanks to all the participants in tonight's ATCC meeting related to specialty shop tools, fixtures and equipment used in performance engine building per the below listed agenda.

Next meeting will be Tuesday 3/11/14 at 8:00 PM eastern time. We will start at topic # 7 where we stopped at in tonight's meeting.

1) Fixtures and tooling used for block and head milling
2) Valve seats and valve equipment
3) Flow bench types and function
4) Carburetor set up tools and tech gaging
5) Valve spring gaging and pressure measurements
6) Specialty hand tools
7) Cylinder honing equipment
8) Camshaft profile tools and measurement methods
9) Tech tools and measurement methods
10) Tech tool design, accuracy and procurement
11) Shop floor design, tools and equipment layout for efficiency
12) Engine building time study - Cost vs. time vs. quality / performance

Future meeting agenda:
1) Business marketing
2) Advertising
3) Karting shows and swap meets
3) Track side support
4) Customer service
5) Business ethics

Thanks
Steve
419-217-3881 cell

Back