Keeping a LO206 happy . . .

IRQVET

New Kart owner and my new LO206 has maybe 30 or laps on her. I've heard people say you need to do XYZ after XYZ hours and I'm wondering what others with this motor recommend? I'm still logging hours at the track trying to get some seat time on my new (used) chassis as I get ready for the Cup Kart South Series next month.

New to the sport, new to this engine, so any feedback will be appreciated.

I know some folks send their engines off to get something done to get them more race ready. I'm just not sure what that is and who I should task
to do it. . . .

IMG_0627.JPG

Last edited:
If its brand new , best toget some time on it first .
Basically they touch up the valve seats and valves as they warp slightly after inital run in .

At this point, just keep driving it and keep the oil changed. Laps, laps, laps. Some driver coaching/learning, then more laps. After all that, then send it to a trusted builder to get the head touched up and all the little stuff to get the max out of the engine. It will not be the thing holding you back for a while.

Just start reading the 206 section here on Bobs. Everything you need is right there. Did you set up your carb and check you valve clearance?

New Kart owner and my new LO206 has maybe 30 or laps on her. I've heard people say you need to do XYZ after XYZ hours and I'm wondering what others with this motor recommend? I'm still logging hours at the track trying to get some seat time on my new (used) chassis as I get ready for the Cup Kart South Series next month.

New to the sport, new the this engine, so any feedback will be appreciated.

I know some folks send their engines off to get something done to get them more race ready. I'm just not sure what that is and who I should task
to do it. . . .

View attachment 14912
While it's true that the seats get oblonged during the initial couple of heat cycles and you lose some valve seal, the power you lose may amount to less time on the track than what you are losing in car set-up and driving initially.
Now, touching up the seats and valves is probably best left to a builder with the right tools and knowledge. Other things like aligning the intake, setting the ignition timing, setting the valves, etc can all be done yourself, or by a builder with experience to perform these actions and dyno tune your engine for max performance.
When you're ready to have that work done, please consider us. We'd be glad to answer any questions you have along the way.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back